thread algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
Out of the blue I have what I would call thread algae. It almost looks like cotton candy webbing through the plants. I also have a few baby snails the last 2 days. I may leave the snails--something different like the recently added shrimp.

What is the best way to get rid of thread algae? What causes it?
Thanks again for all your help--its been an interesting ride!!

Thread and Hair algae, if I remember correctly, is a result of low iron/potassium. It is pretty easy to remove, just twirl it up in an old toothbrush. Are you using ferts?

Yes--injected co2 and greg watson ferts--EI method

55gal--2.3 wpgx9hrs

thanks

Your light should be ok. Don't fert or you might have more algae. I had the worst thread and hair algae problem before but it has been well controled by less light and no fert, and some fishes like American flagfish, golden barb, molly, platy, guppy and pleco.

Several of the green algaes, I believe Thread Algae among them, thrive on conditions very similar to those required by plants. These also tend to be ones that have to be introduced to the aquarium as opposed to always being present and waiting for prime conditions to turn into an outbreak.

Because of this your best bet is stubborn, continual, manual removal until you're able to get rid of most of it. There may be some fish etc that will eat it, but make sure that you're buying a fish that you want to keep long term instead of something you won't want or won't be appropriate for your aquarium in the long run.

I got about a gallon of Java moss just completely infested with thread algae. I agreed to take it knowing about the algae 'cause I wanted to try Flourish Excel on it to see if it would work.

I soaked the moss in a bucket with a double dose of the Excel for a couple days, then put it in the tank I dose daily anyway, at the amount recommended on the bottle. It was all gone (every last thread) within 10 days.

I don't know the mechanism by which the Excel kills the algae, but it completely got rid of mine. And the moss is doing very well, too!

Folks,
Thanks--Since this is a shrimp tank with Neons-there are no Pleco's catfish etc..
I removed most of what i could get at with a toothbrush as you recommended. I will keep at it and add "less" dry ferts (fyi-im not using CSM+B anymore due to shrimp)

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom