Thrive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thrive fertiliser?

There was a member who tested her planted tanks on here with/without carbon and concluded it made no difference.

I suspect there is some loss of micros but plenty in system anyways or they get released back off the organics adsorbed on the carbon as decays.

I’ve never seen a post definitely saying carbon will cause major issues with ferts.

But it seems posts report some for and some against.

I removed my carbon filters on HOB and replaced it with 2 Mesh bag of perlite on the bottom (one for each chamber), a 2nd mesh bag of filter floss on top and some bio balls sandwhich between them.

Carbon can strip some trace elements

In the near future I would like to swap out my filtration medium and turn my HOB into a HOB Riparium

Another vote for not using carbon in filters unless specifically removing something bad. I never tested this and don't have evidence for or against. However the filter is designes to capture and retain chemicals/elements until it reaches saturation. I don't see how it can possibly descriminate and leave elements usable to for plants alone.

I only use carbon because it's what came with the HOB. Never really had a reason not to use carbon unless I was medicating the tank. Now that I want to use Thrive fertilizer for my low light plants I was curious if the carbon filter would essentially remove the fertilizer components as it does some medications. If this is true, what would you all advise I use for filtration media?

I only use carbon because it's what came with the HOB. Never really had a reason not to use carbon unless I was medicating the tank. Now that I want to use Thrive fertilizer for my low light plants I was curious if the carbon filter would essentially remove the fertilizer components as it does some medications. If this is true, what would you all advise I use for filtration media?

What else is in the filter? How old is the carbon/do you replace it monthly?

I usually go with more biomedia and then some fine filter floss that I replace every week or two. The best place for free floating crud is in the garbage, not rotting away in the filter ;)

That’s what I found as well but the link above is much more detailed - was actually trying to find that one.

Another question would be how often is the carbon getting changed out. If every week to two weeks - imo definitely worth trying with / without carbon to see if any difference. If the carbon is getting changed every several months - I’m guessing not much impact would be noted. If there was any in the first place. I have an iron test kit and that never seems to read much even after dosing just iron micro ferts as dry dosing (not sure what chelate is used).

I ran carbon and EI ferts dosing for a little while but found dropping back to lighter doses of micros just as good anyways (says something about our tap water perhaps!) and not huge amounts of carbon used in filter.

Last edited:
What else is in the filter? How old is the carbon/do you replace it monthly?

I usually go with more biomedia and then some fine filter floss that I replace every week or two. The best place for free floating crud is in the garbage, not rotting away in the filter ;)
I change it once every 3-4 weeks. I'll look into that stuff you got.

Well I'll give it a go. I got a box or two of filters with carbon left. After that, I'll try out some plain filter media and make shift it into the filter. See if there's a difference. I appreciate you finding that thread.

Back
Top Bottom