Tiger Lotus Dormancy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cakeman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last summer, I picked up one of those cheapo plant bulb assortments from Wal-Mart, which wasn't the first time and I've gotten some pretty sweet plants from them before. I'd mostly gotten some fungus-enrobed slimeballs though.

This batch, I decided to drop into my koi winter tank, located in the basement under a window which was spraypainted over by the hoodlums who lived here before. I don't know why I did this but ALL of the bulbs sprouted and produced plants :eek:. No heater, no lighting, no ferts, not even any fresh fish poop (Though last season's residuals were probably plentiful). By the time my koi came in, the roots were strong enough to withstand the fish's gold-digging routine. Now that I (kinda) know what I'm doing, I can't believe I did that and I can't believe it worked! They eventually died off as it got cold, I removed the stems and forgot about the bulbs. I vacuumed the gravel today, cleaned the filters and added a heater and a light to wake my guys up. As I siphoned, I found buried treasure! The bulbs and their massive root systems were still there! I know the aponogetons enjoy a good winter hibernation and I also know that tank is getting broken down and turned into something else once I can evict those koi. I took the bulbs upstairs and put them in my 5gal, where I start my plants. Now that I've bored you to tears ;),

FINALLY, THE QUESTION: Do the Tiger Lotus bulbs go through a dormant period like the others or are they never coming back? They were too cool to die.

Back
Top Bottom