Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

time for ferts to work

how long does it take for ferts to work on a 10 gal there from gregwatson heres my schedule:
M: 50-75% water change & 12ml K2SO4 (15ppm K)
M-W-F: 6ml KNO3, 6ml KH2PO4 (15ppm N, 9ppm K, 3ppm P)
T-H-Sa: 4ml CSM+B (0.12ppm fe)
Su: Nothing

Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What do you mean by work? Are you trying to get rid of algae? Are your plants showing deficiency symptoms that you want to know how long before they go away? Something else?

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

im just wondering how long it takes till the plants start growing faster and algea goes away.sry about confusion.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That will greatly depend on many, many factors. If the tank has been set up for a while, and nothing else has changed other than the adding the fert cycle, then it should be relatively soon (although seeing a difference in growth is sometimes difficult to do over a short period).

If you recently made some other changes, that will affect the speed as well. It also depends on what types of plants you have and the conditions that they are kept it (filtering, lighting, substrate, how long they have been planted, what else is in the tank, CO2, etc). Unless you really want to list the exact conditions of the tank and all the parameters from testing, there really is no way to tell. Even then, its a ball park guess.

I recently re-scaped about 6 weeks ago, and other than that, kept everything the same. I haven't seen noticeable growth in anything but my tiger lotus and anacharis up until a week ago. I have ~8 other different plants in there too.

The thing with plants is that sometimes they grow at extraordinary levels, and sometimes it's hard to see any growth at all unless you compare over a larger period of time (weeks, months). HTH, and GL
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i got co2,45w of t8,eco complete this tank is 10yrs ols the filteration is an ac 20 and the plants have been in there about 2yrs.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you've got everything in balance the algae should stop spreading within a week. The remaining algae may go away on it's own or have to be manually removed depending on the type.

Nutrient Deficiencies generally take at least 2-3 weeks to show up or go away. In some cases the leaves will repair themselves, but it's best to remove any that are severly damaged to force the plant to focus on putting out new leaves instead.

You may or may not see an increase in growth. If you've got enough light and the supporting CO2 levels to allow for fast growth, and nutrients are the limiting factor then I would expect to see an increase in growth within the first couple of weeks assuming that you increased your dosing sufficiently. If the nutrients aren't the limiting factor or there is another limiting factor then you probably won't see an increase in growth.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How are you adding CO2? DIY Diffusion? CO2 tank? Excel?

Substrate? What are you using?

What is your lighting schedule?

How often are you changing water?

How many fish? What kinds?

How many plants? What kinds?

Having algae issues?

This might help =)

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fert, ferts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com