Time to get CO2 serious.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been raising plants in my tank with a Hagen natural CO2 system with moderate success. I have some money saved up and I want to revamp. I would like to finally add in a fully automated CO2 system. I have seen that some e-tailers offer their own full systems. Whats the best way to get one of these sytems? Should I piece a system together or buy a kit? If I piece it together can anyone reccomend parts? How long does a canister typically last.? Do I have to use a seperate pump or can I use my exisiting can. filter for flow? Thanks in advance for the help. I realize it's a complex topic.

look for a milwakee all in one. its recommended by one of our plant guru's rex grigg (www.rexgrigg.com) you'll still need some reactor or bubble ladder to get it into the water, I know there is a DIY one you can make or you can buy one some where. personally i'd buy or make the reactor if you're doing the full co2 system. Thats about all i know, i'm sure some one will jump in here.

If you intend to go 'fully automated', I don't think you can beat the deal on that Rex links to on his site. As I remember it, the package includes a double gage regulator needle valve, bubble counter, and solenoid for like $89. IMO, a very fair price. Then all you need is a tank. Look around for a used tank at bars, or welding shops. You can probably pick one up locally for anywhere from $40 - $60, many times with gas included.
I don't happen to believe one needs all the stuff on the system mentioned above, but if I was inclined to go 'full frills' that's the system I'd buy.
I've heard that people have cannisters that last a year between re-fills. I personally have never had one last longer than 6 months, but it obviously depends on a few variables. Tank size, bubble rate, and diffuser come to mind.
You should consider making an in-line diffuser that would go right into the out-flow from tank to XP2. That diffuser yields as close to 100% saturation as you could hope for. All parts can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot in the PVC section.
Then you fill it with bio-balls and you're good to go.

Len

Well youhave quite a few options out there.
You could go real low cost on a regulator without a solenoid or bubble counter single or dbl gauge will run around 20 -40 for the regulator itself
Or you could go with a jbj or milwaukee all in one unit each includes
REGULATOR, solenoid valve, and bubble counter. Dual guage regulator displays output pressure and bottle pressure. Standard American CO2 bottle connection. made .
Other things to consider ae the sms 122 whcih can control the ph of your tank as it will turn of the solenoid that releases the co2 to your tank if the ph drops below a set point.
Other things to consider are some type of reactor and that really depends on the size of your aquarium, wheter you want it in or our of the tank and so on.
You can also get co2 proof tubing which does not get hard and brittle like silicone tubing and regular tubing. This portion of your post was removed, it is in violation of the AquariumAdvice.com User Agreement, further violations could result in removal of your posting privelages
Hope this helps

edited by reefrunner69

hey marcus, no offense of anything, your site is great but its just that the s/h and tax makes it all up for all the savings. I was going to buy the milwaukee regulator but the shipping was $12.99 plus $10 tax.

Anyways, james i recommend you get a milwaukee all in one which costs around $75.99 - $79.99 and a DIY reactor with a python gravel tube and a Rio powerhead 180.

Looke like I need to change the drop down box as it has been confusing people. If you DO NOT live in missouri choose rest of the world for taxes so you don't get charged missouri taxes.

the milwaukee regulator is what I've got and I love it.
so far a 5lb cylinder of CO2 has lasted 6months on my 75 gallon, running 24/7, and it's still got liquid inside (my pressure hasn't dropped yet)

I recently heard/read on this forum that the pressure will maintain at full pressure (~800PSI?) until its empty... strange as that sounds, it also seems plausible to me. Some time in the not too distant past I also heard/read that we don't have to worry about a CO2 tank "dump" because of our regulators and needle valve setups. Anyone want or able to clarify this? I also have the Milwaukee and it works like a charm... TIA Bob

Well as someone who has experience with both the JBJ regulator and the Milwaukee regulator, I can tell you the JBJ has been more popular for one main reason, the JBJ regulator has a FIXED working pressure, meaning when you open up the valve on your C02 tank, the regulator automaticaly ajusts it to the right working pressure. You do not have to worry about having too much pressure or to little pressure, making it much safer in my opinion. The Milwaukee is manual. JBJ also has a built in check valve, and a red indicator light showing when the solenoid is on.

There is usually about a ten dollar difference between the two. If you are shopping around for the JBJ and have a favorite online vendor or even a local store, give them a chance to meet whatever price you have found. It often pays to be well informed.

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com

Back
Top Bottom