Tips onGrowing a Microsword Carpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobluewolverines4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all!
I set up my 10 gallon recently with a brand new setup.
For starters, I have 2 5000k CFL Daylight bulbs
I recently setup DIY CO2 with a Cascade Power filter as my diffuser. The bubbles come out extremely tiny!
My substrate is flourite with a little black gravel on top.
For flora i have a background rotala indica, a java fern attached to a piece of driftwood, and then in the foreground I have about 7-8 little "tufts" of Microsword.

Now my dilemma is I want this Microsword to carpet, but I've heard from many people that I should have gone with something else, like DHG or Dwarf Baby Tears.

Is it possible to grow a carpet with Microsword? Or should i just bite the bullet and go buy a new plant to carpet, or should I stick with it? Do my parameters even support a Carpet of Microsword?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

By the way, the fauna is about 25 RCS and 1 Assassin Snail.

:thanks:

I've attempted it, and came pretty close before I broke down the tank. I found the key is trimming the runners, and to start out with A LOT of ms. The problem is, the runners never split off in to more runners. You plant a section and it just grows in a straight line.

So when you plant, trim the runners to have about 3-4 leaves each, and make a group of about 3-4 of those, then plant in a checkerboard pattern about 1/2"-1" apart. This way you have runners going out in all directions, and a lot of them.

Another problem I had is ms is a fairly slow grower and tends to get algae on the leaves.

Also, how many watts are your CFLs? I had 2 13 watt 6500k CFLs over my 10. You might be able to find a pic of it in the thread I had about it.

Oh and root tabs will help as well.

Good luck with it! :)

Back
Top Bottom