Tired of a alge ridden tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forestwalker101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I gave a planted tank a try and I'm starting to get very frustrated with this alge. It's the silicate phosphate loving brown fluffy kind. See photos. I tried using phos guard but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm not sure what to do next. Ive got two 60w eqiv. cfl bulbs in a 20gal tall. I don't use co2. Those pics were one day after I did a 50% water change. I swirl the water around to lose that stuff up and it will clog my filter in a day.

Advise?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Dosing CO2 like seachem excel, will help prevent algae. Try to remove as much algae you can.

Here are the pics since they decided not to attach the first time.

Attachments

• 1429665467966.jpg
    1429665467966.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1429665482425.jpg
    1429665482425.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1429665494956.jpg
    1429665494956.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 73
I used eco complete and black moon aquarium sand for substrate and this tank has been running since jan and it's never been th is pad.

OK. here goes,
Method 1:
Buy some Oto Catfish. They chow down on this stuff.

Method 2:
If Otos do not work, try overdosing Excel at 1ml/gallon

Method 3:
If neither method 1 or 2 works....

1. Make sure that your filtration is adequate for your tank. 2. Add a powerhead or something to improve water current in the tank. 3. remove all plants and ornaments from the tank, (leave substrate.) Wipe the diatoms off surfaces of hardware and try to scrub it out of the rocks or sand to the best of your ability. Bleach ornaments scrub them with an abrasive sponge. 4. you may try dipping live plants in an H2O2 and water solution. 5. Do a 30%-50% water change while vacuuming the substrate. Put all of your stuff back in. 6. Repeat when necessary. You may need to do this a few times.

You either have too much light, not enough water movement, or a bunch of diatoms in the substrate.

Make sure the LFS actually has Ottos. If you buy the Chinese Algae Eaters you will regret it like...forever. Look at some images of both to ensure that you buy Ottos.

Lighting? hours on? Ferts? Every little detail will help.. wc routine? Stock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive got two 60w eqiv. cfl bulbs in a 20gal tall. I don't use co2.

Good catch on the lighting Brooks!

2-60W equivalent bulbs on a 20 gallon is a LOT of light! That is like 6 watts per gallon! try upping the filtration and lose 1 of the lights.

Good catch on the lighting Brooks!

2-60W equivalent bulbs on a 20 gallon is a LOT of light! That is like 6 watts per gallon! try upping the filtration and lose 1 of the lights.

I need details;) 2-23.watt cfls is not outrageous.. if they're on for 12 hours a day with no dosing?? Direct sunlight involved as well?? Ooohh algae demons!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have this same issue...mines not as bad but it's prominent on old leaves and anything slow growing like my crypts.

I have fiddled with the timer continuously for about a year to try and get it right and I haven't had any luck.

I think for me it maybe my filters not being enough even though I have two, one internal that goes about 80L/hr and a HOB that's 240L/hr. Aqua advisor says I'm about 186% filtration with my stocking in a 26gal tall tank. Beats me I'm learning to live with it but I'm going to buy some Otos it's my only hope really.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I put 3 Oto's in my tank last week. Not because I have a bad issue but because I don't want a bad issue.
I have had a little algae but nothing a little more excel and phosphate didn't clear up.
Back to subject; I love these Lil guys.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Probably good to get back to basics here.

Algae grows excessively when:
- There are excess nutrients in the water, especially phosphate
- There is excess light exposure
Both are generally true at the same time, and that appears to be the case here.

While it's good to get fish that feed on algae, they can't help with a systemic imbalance in your aquarium.

Regarding light, ensure your tank is away from sunlight, and for the next week or two, or until the bloom is visibly under control, cut the light to 4-6 hours per day.

Change 20% of your water every other day until it is clear, then return to your normal weekly schedule.

Regarding nutrients, you probably have to make a permanent adjustment to something you're doing. It's likely you're over-feeding, over fertilizing, or possibly using a phosphate-based buffer to manage your pH. As a prior poster asked, you need to provide more detail.

Here are some tips on dealing with nutrients in your tank:
Algae: limiting nutrients | The Skeptical Aquarist

Good luck!

The tank is not in direct sunlight. I don't use ferts as the eco complete should be enough as its only 4 monthes old. I have ample water circulation with a fairly powerful airpump. Photo period is 8 hours. I have 8 guppies 2 adult molly two juvi molly. 3 juvi yoyo loach 2 dwarf frog, 1 betta, 2 otto, 2 shrimp, a mystery snail and a small horde of mts. My wife probably over feeds a bit since the fish are such aggressive feeders and eat all the food before the frogs get any. I don't have any issues with ph so I don't need to add any chemicals.

The tank is not in direct sunlight. I don't use ferts as the eco complete should be enough as its only 4 monthes old. I have ample water circulation with a fairly powerful airpump. Photo period is 8 hours. I have 8 guppies 2 adult molly two juvi molly. 3 juvi yoyo loach 2 dwarf frog, 1 betta, 2 otto, 2 shrimp, a mystery snail and a small horde of mts. My wife probably over feeds a bit since the fish are such aggressive feeders and eat all the food before the frogs get any. I don't have any issues with ph so I don't need to add any chemicals.

There could be excess silicates and phosphates in your tap water that's always a possibility.

I'm going to try larger water changes and also not going to use root tabs for another month. I think I maybe using too many and I need to invest in gel caps. I've only been freezing them in water, as a temporary solution till I found somewhere that sold them that wasn't online. If I don't see any improvements then I'm going to get some otos.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Assuming you have manually removed as much algae as possible first,...

Photo period is 8 hours.

Halve this for a week or two.

My wife probably over feeds a bit since the fish are such aggressive feeders and eat all the food before the frogs get any.

Fish will survive on a tiny amount of food; I'd recommend that if there's any risk you've overfed, that you cut their feeding back dramatically. Skip a day a week, and do only two small pinches (based on the stock you've listed) until the algae is cleared.

If the fish are apparently healthy at that feeding rate, consider keeping it there. Again, most people overfeed. Especially spouses who don't know how this works. ;-)

I don't have any issues with ph so I don't need to add any chemicals.

One note here: algal blooms can dramatically change the pH of your tank. You should measure yours regularly while this is happening and try to keep it close to your target (presumably in the vicinity of 7.0) through water changes and Acid/Alkaline Buffer dosing until the algae is cleared.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom