Tired of DIY CO2 Injection - Need Guidance on Pressurized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been running a DIY CO2 system for maybe 3 months now and I'm already tired of it. It's messy looking, I have to keep my 2-liter bottle in a bucket with a heater to keep it running during the cold winters here in New England. We turn heat down very low in our house at night and during the day when we're at work. I'm also not sure if I'm getting too much or not enough, etc. etc..

I would like to look into purchasing a pressurize unit but not sure what to look for or what I need. Could somebody recommend a place where I could purchase the whole nine yards for a decent price? Tank and all! Maybe I'd be better off getting the tank closer to home, seeing the weight would most likely send the shipping over the top. Once I got the real deal, would I have to look into dosing ferts too? As of thus far, I've pretty much got away with not dosing and have found when I do add ferts to my tank, I get algea. My water is pretty soft to begin with, I do add baking soda to my recipe. My water parameters are PH 6.4 in am and 6.8 in PM and KH is usually 8 in the am and 12 in the PM. My water hardness is about 100 or between 50 and 120.

My tank is a 29 gallon, I do not have a heavy fish load. The tank currently houses, 1 adult male Blue Ram, 2 juvenille wild blue rams a pair of Apistogramma Agazzi's, 2 Lemon Tetras, 1 Harlequin Rasbora, 2 Ottos and 1 SEA.

Thanks for any help or advice!
Linda

The need for CO2 is driven by your lighting. What kind of lighting and how much wattage is currently over the 29gal?

Also, your Kh should not change during the day. pH, yes, but Kh is supposed to remain constant...its a measure of your buffering capacity and affects how easily your pH can move.

CO2 injection causes pH to drop...but Kh shouldn't budge.

malkore said:
The need for CO2 is driven by your lighting. What kind of lighting and how much wattage is currently over the 29gal?

Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something. My light is a 1x55 watt retro-fit from AH Supply with 6700K. Also my subtrate is 90% Seachem Fluorite.

malkore said:
Also, your Kh should not change during the day. pH, yes, but Kh is supposed to remain constant...its a measure of your buffering capacity and affects how easily your pH can move.

CO2 injection causes pH to drop...but Kh shouldn't budge.

Must only be my PH that seems to change, my KH is usually around 12 but have seen days when it's at 8. It also depends on what testing devices I am using.

Prices don't appear to be as bad as I thought. Would I be able to set this system up by myself? This is probably going to sound silly but does it come with directions? I am not mechanically inclined, not even a little bit! My husband put the retro-fit together for me but he docent know anything at all about pressurized CO2 system, so I'll be setting this system up myself and would like to get one that's not too complicated.

Thanks!

I'd suggest skipping the pH controller (Milwaukee SMS122). This will complicate your setup, and tack on another $80. PLENTY of folks run their pressurized co2 24/7. Alternatively, you can just turn it on and off with your lights. Whatever you want.

I got the Milwaukee MA957 from here: http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/pr333.html

It did come with instructions, and I had very little trouble setting it up (and have NO experience with pressurized gasses!).

From there I just needed the tank (local welding supply company), tubing (from the same website), and a way to dissolve it! This last issue is one that you should think about: what are you currently using to dissolve the DIY?

Lastly, ferts: I would get the steady co2, then see how the plants respond. If you start seeing a particular sign of deficiency (yellow leaves or something), then work on fixing the problem with fertilizers.

55 watts on a 29gallon isn't too intense, I think it's a good introduction to pressurized and ferts. (pretty soon you will want another 55 bulb!)

GL!

Aquatic-store.com is still cheaper. For the same $150, you can get the same controller AND the matching regulator, solenoid, and counter...

Back
Top Bottom