To big for tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bates1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you think my sword plant is to big for my ten gallon tank?? Also does anyone know how to get rid of algae hair?

image-3484935888.jpg

I think it looks great. You could always trim it back a bit if you think its to big. what lights are you using and do you dose firts?

Thank you, I just use that lights that came with my deluxe 10g aquarium and I use nutrafin once a week.

+1^, just use scissors, pinching can damage the plant. And cut as close to the root system as possible(where the leaf starts)

looks good, but more importantly looks healthy. For some reason swords do not do well in my tank, but I have a few that are coming back. As far as the algae, what type is it? If it is the black bearded algae like my tank suffers from then I dose seachem flourish excel. How much light does your tank get?

I use the regular lights and it's on 12 and 12. And the algae is is like blackish greyish tangly hairs lol

Can you send a picture? Depending on how much of it is spreading will determine the lengths in which you may need to go to fix it. First: try dosing with flourish excel; read the directions on how much to use. This does not necessarily kill it, but it should stop it from spreading. Also investing in some real Siamese algae eaters won't hurt. If it still persists, because it's a nasty one, you may have to take out the plants, decor, and equipment that this hairy bugger is on, and wipe down with good old hydrogen peroxide and water mix. Yes, the kind you would get at the local drug store. And of course conduct PWC's early and often.

Let us know how it goes.

I've been hoping that hairs would spread out so I could take a pic but it's inside the plant and the leaves are growing to rapidly. I had already cut it off of the outside so I guess a pic is out of the ? Lol

My plant is still growing crazily do you think I should try to get it into bigger tank or trim or something

image-2886697051.jpg

It's a sword but I'm not sure which kind there way to many species for me to be sure lol

I would prune all the big leaves that touch the top of the water. Make sure you cut them as close to the root as possible.

You don't think it's to dark cause of all the shade I also have an anubius growing outta driftwood I'm not sure how much light it needs

Yeah I think it will block light from your other plants. Swords get big for 10 gallons, do you have any bigger tanks?

Bates1990 said:
You don't think it's to dark cause of all the shade I also have an anubius growing outta driftwood I'm not sure how much light it needs

Anubias is a low light plant, if you are worried about it just do what Ashley said, trim the outer longest ones, then wait for news leaves to grow, once they get a decent size, trim the next batch. That's what I would do if you want to trim it.

Back
Top Bottom