Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: How do you add your dry ferts?
Pre-Mix with water 7 33.33%
Add to tank dry 12 57.14%
Other (please explain below) 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

To mix or not to mix, that is the question

1. do you mix your dry ferts with water, or do you just add them dry to the tank?

2. why, if there is a reason, is one way better then the other?

i used to pre-mix my ferts, but now i just add them dry to the tank, recently i have felt like i got better results when i pre-mixed, but that could just be my imagination

Old 05-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

I premix... I figure there's less room for error that way in regards to overdosing.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I premix too. I have all my dry ferts pre-measured and labeled for the week. I went to the pharmacy and bought the smallest little amber pill containers to store my dose for each day.

To add the ferts to the tank, I pour just a little bit of bottled water into a plastic (aquarium-only) cup. I heat that in the microwave for 9 seconds (takes the refrigerator chill off) and pour my pre-measured dry fert dose in and stir. I pour that water into the tank right in front of my little powerhead/pump.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it matters to be quite honest. If it were me though, I think I would be more inclined to premix that way I can stir the stuff up and help it dissolve so it is ready to go right away. Another reason that I would premix is simply because of overdosing. It is easier and less expensive to add a small amount of a high concentration solution rather than change half of the tank water because "oops, I added way to much!" Know what I mean? You can catch your mistake BEFORE it is added to the tank and still have time to correct it and make it right. Just my two cents.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
I dose KNO3 dry, but everything else is mixed. The only reason I mix them is to make dosing easier.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I just toss the dry ferts in the tank. I have a dozen little measuring spoons, I measure the right amount and drop the stuff in front of the spray bar.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I use dosing solutions because I'm dosing such small quantities since my aquariums are small. If are were dosing a larger aquarium, I'd probably only use solutions for any of the ferts that are easier to measure in solution if the dosing amounts were still fairly small but dose the rest dry. For dry dosing I'd probably predisolve the ferts in some tank water, mostly for my own peace of mind more than anything else.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I premix everything. I feel it gives me better control and distribution in the tank. Also, if you are doing straight EI dosing, you have the option of mixing a cocktail for the week and just pouring from one container into the tank for macros.

Something just feels wrong about watching my fish try to eat the little granules of ferts when they first hit the water.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I add dry.

300 gallon Tang - 180 gallon - two 125 gallon South American - 75 Tang - 40 CAE - 20 Cyprichromis grow out
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Atl300zx
i add dry, but i want to move to pre-mix b/c of the fish trying to eat the fertilizer granules.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Add dry to tank--Like sparky said--I dont like it when fish eat the granules on way down.

CSM+B is a solution with epsom salt and 167 ml H20 per Greg watson.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do dry for the big tank...put it in the HOB filter to dissolve. Each bag has the appropriate sized measuring spoon in it so I don't have to think about how much to dose. The small tank I had to mix because it was too small of amounts to measure dry.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
i don't pre-mix. i have a dosing glass that i put a bit of tank water and dissolve the ferts, then pour the glass into the tank at each dosing, mostly to stop the fish from eating it. wet-dry dosing

zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com