To much light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking into doing a small planted tank. Not sure on the plants yet. The deal is I had a 40tall awhile ago which I got a 24" 6500k t5 HO (Aqutic Life). Now I have an urge to do a nano tank. I still have the light not the tank.

I was given a 10 gallon so I said why not.. Is the light going to be over bearing if I go with some "low light" plants or should I get "high light" plants? I have a nice pice of drift wood I would like to grow moss on too.

Give me your opinion brutal or nice lol

How many bulbs? Even a single t5 HO bulb is a lot for a 10g. Puts you in the very high light range. You can try using window screen between the light and tank. It reduces PAR values by 30-40%. You'll most likely still need co2, though. Are you dead set on a 10g? Why not find another 24" tank?

It'll be pretty darn powerful, you'll probably want to raise the light up off the tank a bit and you'll definitely want to go with co2. That's a powerful light, but can be done.
I agree with the above poster though, why not get another 24" tank?

(Or get a new light, and sell me your current light, I need a 24" t5ho! Lol)

It's a dual bulb pink/white. Also a 55watt. I'm looking into a twenty tall 24" high. The reason for the hight restriction is it needs to be stored under my 100 gallon in a cabinet (my wife really doesn't want another tank).. What she won't see until it's to late wont hurt her lol

I have about 24"x16"x27" between my canisters under the big tank. Picture below

Attachments

• image-1462862700.jpg
    image-1462862700.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 51
Ahh! The secret planted tank! Haha. I meant 24" wide, to match your light.

If you want to use the 10 gallon, a couple CFL bulbs work perfect on a 10. Since it'll be in the cabinet, you might be able to mount some cheap lamps in there.

Ahh! The secret planted tank! Haha. I meant 24" wide, to match your light.

If you want to use the 10 gallon, a couple CFL bulbs work perfect on a 10. Since it'll be in the cabinet, you might be able to mount some cheap lamps in there.

Yeah the plants will be fine down there! just called my LFS and they have a 20 gallon high for 30 with glass tops

It's a dual bulb pink/white. Also a 55watt. I'm looking into a twenty tall 24" high. The reason for the hight restriction is it needs to be stored under my 100 gallon in a cabinet (my wife really doesn't want another tank).. What she won't see until it's to late wont hurt her lol

I have about 24"x16"x27" between my canisters under the big tank. Picture below

Hahahaha thats awesome my gf came home to a new tank and it actualy lead to her wanting het own tank so now we are at 5 tanks oh well... If your worried about algee you could do a uv skimmer or algee eaters like plecos and once they get big take it back to your lfs and trade for a smaller one...you might even make a few bucks just an idea

Back
Top Bottom