To plant or not to plant!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright guys and gals, come to the stage where I'm about to go buy my substrate for my first planted tank. Now... When I set my tank up do I want to bed my plants at this stage or let tank have a cycle first? Also what's the best substrate to look out for? - had conflicting advice from YouTube . Thanks for help :)

What kind of conflicting advice did you have? You can plant the tank at any point in the cycling process. In fact if you plant it heavily prior to cycling it, you may experience a 'silent' cycle, which is basically the plants sucking up the nitrogenous waste before it gets to a detectable level on your test kit.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

For substrate, I suggest a fired-clay type substrate. They do great at making nutrients available for plant roots. I don't know what they have available where you are, but substrate choices like ecocomplete, floramax, schultz aquatic plant soil, oil-dri, turf ace, or flourite are all good options. You could always just use plain sand as well, the plants will grow in it, but I don't believe that it does as good of a job as the type of stuff I mentioned previous.

What kind of conflicting advice did you have? You can plant the tank at any point in the cycling process. In fact if you plant it heavily prior to cycling it, you may experience a 'silent' cycle, which is basically the plants sucking up the nitrogenous waste before it gets to a detectable level on your test kit.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

For substrate, I suggest a fired-clay type substrate. They do great at making nutrients available for plant roots. I don't know what they have available where you are, but substrate choices like ecocomplete, floramax, schultz aquatic plant soil, oil-dri, turf ace, or flourite are all good options. You could always just use plain sand as well, the plants will grow in it, but I don't believe that it does as good of a job as the type of stuff I mentioned previous.

+1 Well said!! You can also add gravel of choice over the one listed by jetajocky too.

I would say the "best" from what I've read is probably ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil, but its not cheap. I have been using Floramax and Fluval Stratum with great results. I strategically place some Flourish root tabs in the substrate as well.

Back
Top Bottom