Too much CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I have mentioned on here, I run a DIY CO2 with 2 2-liter bottles and my own special formula. I change half the bottles every 2 weeks and seem to get reasonalby stable CO2 production from this setup.

As for getting it into the tank, I had 2 things. One was a plastic treasure chest that I put a micro bubbler into to make a diffusion bell. The second was a micro bubbler at the bottom of a grove of Primrose to create a bubble ladder effect. With that setup I was getting 18-24pmm of CO2. This is reasonable, but not too high. Since I use 4.7 WPG of lighting and daily fert dosing, I thought I would make a DIY powerhead diffuser and try and get a litle more CO2 in the water.

Last weekend, I built one based on plans I found on the internet. I used a power head with a 130GPH flowrate, to get about 2 turns per hours of my water. So last night I got home and was watching my tank, and I notice it seem to be filled with little bubbles. At first I was thinking it was coming out of my Diffuser, but when I looked closely I realized my tank was just massively pearling... I mean the plants were goiong crazy. Heck the Anubis look like airstones with a constant stream of bubbles. Well all that Oxygen and my fish sure seemed happy, and active.

So I decide to test and see how much improvment on CO2 I'm getting. First I use my direct CO2 test.... and it seems to take for ever to change...sure enough it says 42ppm. I think, there is no way thats right... so get out my PH and KH tests.. PH=6.6 and KH=6.0...via chart that is 45ppm. I am blown away by the reading, but the two tests correlate.

The plants, love it... the fish seem fine too...if anything they are "super active". According to Chuck's calculator that is way in the Red Zone for CO2. I mean if fish were gasping at the surface I would be worried... but as is... do I need to worry? What effect does CO2 have on fish?

Being as it is all DIY stuff... I am not sure how I could really adjust things down anyways.

AS long as your fish are not gasping at the top, I wouldn't worry. I run my pressurized CO2 at over 50 ppm and my fish don't mind it one bit.

Out of curiousity Zezmo, what is your "own special formula"? Those are real good readings for DIY CO2, so naturally I want to imitate hehe :p

I've accidentally run pressurized CO2 at 85ppm for several days. no fish died, none were gasping.

the fact that you have massive pearling should set your mind at ease. you only see pearling when the water is fully saturated with oxygen. the oxygen can't dissolve so it forms bubbles on the leaves, and then they rise to the surface.

If anything, watch your nitrates and phosphates, as well as trace nutrient dosing. your plants are growing full throttle, so you may start using up nurtrients a LOT faster than in the past.

I keep my recipe handy on my desk so I can repost it...
---
my standard disclaimer, is that I can only speak to my own experience, and I got all my info from other folks internet pages. That said...

My DIY set up is 4, 2-liter bottles. I change 2 of them every 2 weeks. To prepare the Yeast i take one pack of yeast and put it with 2 tablespoons of sugar in a 1 cup measuring cup filled with Tepid water (tepid should feel neither warm nor cold). I mix this completely, and set it aside for an hour. The yeast should be at room temperature before you start.

I then take 2, 2-liter bottles. In each bottle, I put 2 cups of sugar, 1 scoop chocolate muscle blast (Safeway brand protein drink), 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of dark molasses (Grandmas brand). I then fill the bottle with water to about 3-4 inches from the top, which is just below where the bottle begins to curve at the top. I mix this very well.

Then, I mix my cup of yeast again, and add half to each bottle. I let this sit; uncapped (open) overnight.

A bit more complex than just tossing in some sugar and yeast, but I have been using this formula for a few months with much success.
---

Thanks for the feedback folks, until I see a fish wearing a snorkel I won't worry.

Malkore, good point, I will do my testing a little more often and keep an eye on those until things "stabilize".

Zezmo,

Great work, I'm curious if you have any recent pics? I'd love to see a shot of so much pearling.

I am curious how you came to the conclusion on how many bottles to use, I've been doing alot of research here on the net myself for a similar approach, at least to experiment with. I'd like to see if I can do the same, a stable DIY C02 rig for my 72gl, but I'm concerned its too big a task for DIY. Since the output is so variable from the yeast formulas... I figured I'd start with 2 bottles, then add more while watching the readings. Did you do the same? or just go for the glory with 4 from scratch.

Anyway, protein drink... never woulda thought of that first... sounds like a spiffy idea, good job man...

Back
Top Bottom