transplanting plants and weird cloudy film question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachxlutz

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have two questions for you guys with magnificent planted tanks.

first off. anyone with experience with Crinum bulbs (onions)? If so, can you tell me what this cloudy white film is around the top of my bulb? and, is it planted correctly?

img_634178_0_73e1671a466016f91df784708851da78.jpg

secondly. i have some Barclaya longifolia and Aponogeton crispus in my 10 gallon that i'd like to transplant some into the new tanks. is this possible and how would i do so?

Barclaya longifolia
img_634178_1_05ee20bda3a88505a4af9d787ea755f0.jpg

Aponogeton crispus
img_634178_2_c18e3e6dcb485da879e80e105c0c5232.jpg

You should be able to move the plants easily. Just be careful with them, and maybe give any overly-long roots a trim. Otherwise it's just like repotting a houseplant. FYI that first plant looks like a red tiger lotus, not Barclaya, to me (don't hold me to that). Either way it's a pretty plant! I have an A. crispus too, really nice plant.

well i actually was thinking about splitting them up, i'd like to keep them in my 10 gallon and just try to split them up into the 29 gallon i just got. do i just trim it back and plant the trimmings?

i think it is a barclaya, i grew it from a bulb that i got at the LFS and it said it was barclaya... although, you never know.

Looks like nymphia to me also. It appears that the white furry stuff is fungus. Perhaps the crinium has died. As far as the aponogeton goes, I would wait till it dies off and move the bulb.

they are new bulbs i just got from the LFS, i mean maybe they are dead... do you think i should clean the fungus off or let it sit and see what happens?

My crinum Natans had the same sort of sheet like film. The barbs in my tank (Balas at the time and SAE) ate it and it hasn't come back. I purchased it with 3-4 leaves already up and multiple already removed from the outside of the bulb. in ideal conditions (Co2, high light and good nutrients) it will grow about 1 leaf / week. sometimes more.

It seems to me that it came from exposure to air then back to water.. as for planting it. 2/3rd the bulb should be under the substrate.

well for the time being they are under about .7 wpg of fluorescent light with CO2 injection and under low bio-load with 5 lg. danios... soon i'll be adding more fish for a higher bio-load and brighter light, i'm gonna shoot for 1.8-2 wpg of compact fluorescent light @ 6700k then start adding some trace chemicals and what not. hopefully i'll have some good growth then.

Back
Top Bottom