Trimming Cabomba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering how everyone trims their Cabomba? Mine is to the top of the tank now and I'm not sure how to trim it properly. I've read to cut it 6" from substrate, replant the tops and toss the bottom. Cut off the top and re plant. Just wondering others experiences with it and what works best :)

The only way I have done it is to cut it in half leaving a lot of stem from the bottom of the top half and replanting the top. It seems to work just fine. The hardest part with cabomba is just keeping it down!

I just got my cabombas, so I have no experience cutting it yet, but I am interested of what the answer to this as I am learning with you.

Well, I have done this will all stem plants. When they hit the top of the water, I cut them in half and replant them. Before you know it, you have a forest of stuff. I think cabomba is my favorite plant but I don't have any. When you get too much let me know so I can get some!.

I have a 44g tall pentagon tank, with 2 T5-15w sorry can't remember the spectrum but I know one is for plants specifically (I think its like 6000k). My watts per gallon are 1.5. I also use seachem excel, once or twice a week.

Will they sell for any money? My tank is full of it now. It grew to the top in less than a month.I have 5 of them now and started with one. I just wish my wisteria would grow...

from, Adam

fred said:
I have a 44g tall pentagon tank, with 2 T5-15w sorry can't remember the spectrum but I know one is for plants specifically (I think its like 6000k). My watts per gallon are 1.5. I also use seachem excel, once or twice a week.

IME, tall tanks require additional WPG since the light much reach "deeper" into the water to affect plant growth. But it's still possible to grow some of the med light plants, you just won't have huge growth. Certain aquascaping techniques can help, such as sloped or tiered substrate to get the plants closer to the light.

I hear good things about Seachem's Flourish Excel and plan to use it in the near future.

Fishfan321 said:
Will they sell for any money? My tank is full of it now. It grew to the top in less than a month.I have 5 of them now and started with one. I just wish my wisteria would grow...

from, Adam

I'm surprised as wisteria is a low light plant. Mine grows really well, even with my fancy fantail using it as a salad bar. As for selling it? If someone wants it, why not. Trading with a lfs is something to think about too (my plan with a local M&P shop).

I'll ask to see if they are interested. I bought the wisteria with the lighting that came with the tank and it started to die. I got reef capable lighting and now it is growing tons of roots but no leaves. Also, what is an m&p?

from, Adam

M&P is Mom and Pop (I believe), meaning that it is a family run business not a chain store like Petco or Petsmart. Typically the mom and pop type stores will buy fish/plants off of you. Where as the chain stores are required to buy from their vendors.

What do you mean by reef capable lighting? Saltwater lighting is a whole different spectrum than what you want in a planted tank. You may have a lot of light over a planted tank but if the light is not usable it will do nothing for your plants. For example actinic bulbs will do little to nothing for your plants growth.

Fishfan321 said:
I'll ask to see if they are interested. I bought the wisteria with the lighting that came with the tank and it started to die. I got reef capable lighting and now it is growing tons of roots but no leaves. Also, what is an m&p?

from, Adam

Mom & Pop shop. Reef capable lighting, like 10,000K lighting? Plants can't use that, 65-6700K is best for plants. Also, when you get into more WPG there's a host of things you need to deal with like adding ferts, c02 and such.

In my tank, wisteria grows fine and I have about .5w per gal @ 6700K. Go figure :).

I have 2 blue actinics and 2 white bulbs. The lfs said with the 2 white bulbs I can keep whatever I would like. I am switching to reef in august so I didn't want to invest in a co2 system. I would like to try a Diy but it sounds hard.

from, Adam

Fishfan321 said:
I have 2 blue actinics and 2 white bulbs. The lfs said with the 2 white bulbs I can keep whatever I would like. I am switching to reef in august so I didn't want to invest in a co2 system. I would like to try a Diy but it sounds hard.

from, Adam

if you mean switching the tank with plants from FW to SW, then the plants (fish?) will have to be rehomed.

Of course I'll be rehoming them! I am hoping to sell them. I am currently finishing off the sump and beginning the plumbing.

from, Adam

Mr. Limpet said:
IME, tall tanks require additional WPG since the light much reach "deeper" into the water to affect plant growth. But it's still possible to grow some of the med light plants, you just won't have huge growth. Certain aquascaping techniques can help, such as sloped or tiered substrate to get the plants closer to the light.

I hear good things about Seachem's Flourish Excel and plan to use it in the near future.

Ya I must be doing something right :). I have all low light plants, java fern, the Cabomba, 2 sword plants and they are all doing really good. I have baby java plants shooting out of my bigger java. The Cabomba has doubled in size, it's not even brown at the substrate. I also have my tank beside a window so I think that helps too :D

Back
Top Bottom