Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

That is some impressive moss LWB. If Java Moss had ever looked that nice for me, I might actually like the stuff. I can see why you're having such a dilemma trying to figure out how to approach that monster.

I'm not particularly good at trimming moss, but here's what I'd do. First remove the moss from the tank and place it in a bucket or rubbermaid container filled with water. This will help to control any small fragments that escape so they don't attach where you don't want them. They you can either gently pull off the excess, or use a pair of scissors to trim. Create nice sandwich sized piles and then send to all your friends. When done put the driftwood back in the tank and watch your fish explore the new swimming space.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you explain the 10:1 dip to me? I'm not familiar with any kind of fertilizing at all.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
It's not actually fertalizing anything. All you do is take a bucket big enough for the moss, and put 10 parts water to 1 part Excel, and submerge the moss in it for 3-5 minutes. Then just take it out and place it in the tank without rinsing. That's all I did.

So basically, for every 10 cups of water I put in the bucket, I added 1 cup of Excel.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

whatever u do dont cut it. hold the base an rip. do this carefully over the whole thing and u will keep the base layer attached but all the outer stuff will come off. this also keeps it in ebtter shape since u arnt cutting the plant itself. my driftwood grows to about alf that ina month so i do some pretty heavy trimming lol. i find ripping it out is the safest and best method.

and a about a month later. i kept trimming the way i mentioned to keep that look.

ths method does not work with chrismas moss though. i dont know why.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I think I'm just going to strip it down and start over. After pulling some out, it's not attached very well to the driftwood, and is not as green, but not brown either. So, I'll pull it all off and tie on some of the nice moss and let it start over.

Will have pics after I do this. Might not be for a week, maybe 2, as I'm having to work extra days since we are short-handed at work.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

The dreaded weed! I have had the same problem in several of my tanks and have managed to remove it from most. I found that my American flag fish do a very good job of naturally pruning the java. They have kept it in check in one of my tanks. The java looks very manicured and follows the driftwood contours nicely. In my 37 gallon I removed a basketball sized clump of the stuff but still have plenty in there for the fry. I started to just wack the stuff with the scissors and then used a brine shrimp net to capture the fragments. After a couple weeks it starts to look a lot better.

Tags
java, java moss, moss, rim, trim, trimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com