Trimming plant problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have hygro and it is growing fast (surprise...lol). My problem comes from trimming of this plant. After a good trimming, all of the lower leaves get holes in them, yellow, and then die. I see healthy new growth at the upper nodes just below where I trimmed.

Is that typical after trimming? I think my plants are healthy because of the constant new growth, but I just don't like the fact that, after a few days, I have so many dead leaves to clean up.

I'll do my best to answer any questions that you may have for me about water parameters and dosing.

You could just replant the tops and throw out the bottoms. Since it is an old growth problem I think of pottasium right away.

I was thinking potassium as well. I could perhaps up my dosing to see if I get better results after trimming. I would just replant the tops, but discus might not like it too much. lol. He might attack my hand even more. I know, it sounds weird.

With hygro I clip low where a new bud growth point starts. Normally I'll cut low enough that there are only a few old leaves left. Like you I hate replanting the tops because my PFS gets constantly turned over by MTS, my BN pleco, and the barbs/gourami that nips at them and chase each other around. By keeping the base (with embedded roots), but cutting very low at a new growth point I get the best of both worlds.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom