Tropical sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradga

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 6footer with a 4 foot sump. I have never run a sump, can I have maintenance advice and frequency of maintenance please.

Sent from my D6653 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Need some more info to be detailed...
Clean/rinse the mechanicals as often as needed(could be weekly...).
Possibly rinse bio 1 or 2 times a year...
Add water for evap to sump.
Not much else IMO.
Is the tank/sump up and running yet?

sump info

I bought it from the local aquarium shop owner. He has had it running for a year or so. I will get it Monday. Suppose I'll keep the biomass wet and clean out the rest so as to keep some bacteria in the system as his fish will go straight back in the tank with the sand and as much old water as I can keep which won't be much at all. Sump is 3 chamber. 1st has wool, 2Nd has biomass and 3 the return pump. 6 foot tank 4 foot sump

Rinse sand and gravel before re install.
Keep bio media wet.
All new water is no problem as long as it is proper temp and dechlorinated.
Acclimate fish as water from you to LFS may be totally different.
I run 5 sumps all easy and good once you understand basics.

So I don't add water to main tank! I think the old owner uses filter wool, thinking I'll use sponges so I don't have to buy new stuff all the time. I'm running it tropical atm btw. Aspire to get marine one day

Sent from my D6653 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sponges are good and I use them for my bio even.
You may want something like a blue/white cut to fit or similar to separate big stuff ??
You can add water to the tank but only the sump water level will change..
It is important you understand how much is the maximum amount while running so the sump doesn't overflow during a power outage and or back syphon issue.

I do both on different tanks.
My largest sump is on my 180g freshwater tropical tank.
Take and post pics of it set up before you take it down and move it....

Back
Top Bottom