Troublesome snail that keeps eating my plant life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I'm new here and to aquariums. I've got an aquarium as described below, had it now for about 2 months. I know how to cycle and stuff and how to test the water. I just have 3 goldfish really to start with just till I get used to doing everything thats needed to maintain the aquarium. I thought start off small and then work my way up.

I got this water snail about 3 weeks ago and all its done is empty my aquarium of plant life. It's looking really bare at the moment and everytime I re-stock it with plant life this snail eats it up within 3 days. I was thinking of just buying silk and plastic plants only so it won't be able to munch it all up.

I've tried using algae tablets as suggested to me to keep it away from my plants but to no effect. I've also tried goldfish pellets with it really seems to like but still munching my plants.
I don't really want a tank full of plastic and silk plants as I know natural plants help keep an heathy aquarium, but what can I do?

My girlfriend told me to just bin the snail but it's a living thing & I don't really want to go to this extreme so can anyone help me or the snail gets it (joke)?

(35L glass tank, Tetrarec EX600 External filter, Gravel base, Rock & plastic plants. 3 goldfish, and one troublesome snail (always eating the real plants)

Welcome to AA.

Now, be aware that goldfish also eat live plants, so the snail is probably not the only culprit here. Second, many snails are capable of reproducing singly, so your one problem snail may soon become (if ir hasn't already) many problem snails. You have four choices: 1) Remove the snail(s) manually (difficult if there are multiple snails); 2) Use a copper-based snail poison (Last resort as copper is toxic to fish and plants, too); 3) Go tropical and employ a snail-eating fish such as a loach; 4) kleep the snail and get artificial plants.

Thanks for that, I didn't know it might multiply itself, this doesn't sound good I might have to palm him off to someone else.
Thanks.

Problem is that if he has been in there for even 24 hours and is anywhere near mature, he might have already left a few patches of near invisible eggs in assorted hidden areas. Can you describe the snail?

Toirtis said:
Look here are give us an idea: http://www.applesnail.net ...as most applesnails eat plants, a few do not....most cannot reproduce asexually, some can.

Yeah thanks for that. I've found the same snail its a Pomacea flagellata flagellata. As I've read its not suited to planted fish tanks as it eats all plant life and at a very fast rate. Wish the bloke in the shop had told me this as I would have never bought it. I've been told I can return it to the shop but won't get nothing back but I guess this beats killing it off.

I got myself 2 rosey barbs today and more plant life, I've moved the snail into a little side tank for now until I venture back to the shop to return him/her, unless anyone out there would like a snail?

Back
Top Bottom