Trying something different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you :) Are you thinking more another triangular rock or trimming and maintaining a plant in that shape? (Like a short, slow growing plant like R. indica/Ammania sp. "Bonsai.")

You can still use that flat rock. I would either cover it partially with some substrate or move it back some and put one of the other rocks on top of it. That would give it a more natural look.

I definatlly get a picture in my head when planning a scape. It's kind of like painting a picture. I'll stick to a basic format and keep adding and taking stuff away as I get closer to what I see in my head. Sometimes it come fast, sometimes not. Sometimes if you are really tuned in, and really lucky that day, you get magic. I just try never to post the bad magic! I know that I'm going to keep Cyperus helferi in here and want to cover most of the substrate with HC, but will keep an eye out for other plants that will fit that vision I see. I'll know it when I see it, not sure what it will be yet. I want a delicate, simple look to this tank, not to crowded. Still working on it. I was thinking another rock in the foreground but a plant would be cool to, as long as it is small leaved and would look to scale.

maybe i larger plant for a focul point would look cool. i noticed u are creating almosta feild effect and the stem plants are like the beginning of a forest. maybe a small group of plants that have more of a tree effect bunched together and kept trimmed to a good scale would make it almost seem like a landscape. i a type of hygro(i am not really sure what it is) that has the most amazing colour and medium sized leaf that would look awesome in a bunch of 3 stems really close together. i will have to get a pic of it for u. whatever u decide i am sure it will turn out great. but then again thats only becasue u never show us your "bad" aquascaping lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have removed the squarish looking rock from the front and took a hammer to it, beat it till I got a piece I liked, smaller and more triangle in shape. I like this look alot better, looks more symmetrical and suits the scape better, without looking to contrived. Thanks czcz! Here is a shot of the current layout. I also took a quick shot of mission control in my basement! This is where I spend almost all my spare time when I'm not working and my wife and kids are asleep! I love to unwind and work on my tanks. Sure you can all relate.

Very cool office. I only have one tank in here and I have to turn to see it. I like the newly shaped rock much better.

I fought hard for this space! I beefed up the desk with pieces of 2" plumbing pipe wedged underneath to hold the weight. I installed a laundry tub right next door for water changes. Being a plumber sure comes in handy sometimes!

I don't think you're going to get any work done in there. :)

I love the latest layout and can't wait for it to fill in. The rocks really hold the scape together and help lead the eye around the tank.

any updated pics glen? i am sure some of the plants have grown a bit. i am looking at this tank to help remodel my 10 gallon. any axtra plants yet? lol i am dying waiting for u to trim. what are the names of the two red plants in your 20 gal? i really want to get some but alot of times the colour is crap at the store which makes me not buy it casue i dont know the real potential of the plant. more pictures please!!!

The plant on the left side is Rotala macrandra, in the center is Althernanthera reineckki. Rotala mac is a very beautiful but also very difficult to keep healthy. I did really well with it and then killed it all off. I am trying it again with the 4 surviving stems from my original plants, so far so good. I just re-moved the A reineckki from the 20 as the brown algea problem I'm currently getting in that tank nearly smothered it, it was dying off. Trying to save it in another tank. Not much change in the 10, though I removed the small rock from the right foreground and am going to try a plant there instead, It's a type of Bacopa that is supposed to stay small and dosn't mind frequent trimming. I can't remember the exact name, I lost the tag! Also on the right foreground I have put in a bit of Samolus valerandi, another slow grower that should stay compact. Diatoms are just starting to kick in, you can see the brown tinge on the plants, especially the HC. Here is a current shot. Any extra plants are in the 20 and it is getting brown algea pretty bad. Let me clear that crap cleared up and I'll get you some plants from there. Good luck with your 10!

i like that new plant u added. looks good there. where do you buy all your plants? big als near u? i find the one near me constantly has the same thing over and over again. but i have to compliment them on how nice of a set up they have. the tank is always spotless of algea and plants actually grow and keep healthy not like some places that run 40 watts over like a 100 tank and then when u buy the plant it is barely clinging on for its life. they have a sweet metal halide set up at the one near me. i should take some pictures. u should to so we can compare the big als and see how different they are. i have been to the one in brampton and was not very impressed. not nearly as nice as the one in barrie near me.

I buy all my plants from the BA in Oakville. They always have a good selection of healthy plants and usually have different plants in every couple of weeks. They will even special order for you. It is a good place to find the elusive HC. They usually always have it in stock, it's where I got mine.

really? maybe i should see if they will special order me some. so you have to pay extra for it? i would love some rotala mac and the HC. i will have to go to tropica.com and make a wish list and see if they can get it for me. if thats the case i will just strip out my tank now and get all good plants lol not the common crap i have now. i need a new substrate before i even attempt HC. how much are the plants near u? if they are cheaper than mine i may ask u to buy me a bunch and ship them to me :wink: or i will just have to wait patiently for yours :( lol

Well, I made a few changes and I think this will be the final layout. The rock in the back right is alot whiter than the other rocks but I'm hoping as the tank matures, algea will darken it up to match the others. Time to leave it alone, sit back and watch it fill in!

looks awesome. cant wait to see the updates as it fills in. i have a question for u... what DIY mixture do you use for your hagen system? how much sugar/yeast and do u use a stabilizer? my mixes keep coming out as dud no matter what i do.

Back
Top Bottom