Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank is doing very well so far, no algea issues of any kind and the water is crystal clear. I'm doing something different in this tank. It's been running for a month and a week. It has 40 ppm CO2, 36 wts CF6700k + 15wts T6 10000k. Pretty high light. I do 1-25% water change once a week. 10 neon tetras, 2 ottos. 1 AC mini HOB filter. Whats different? I have not dosed this tank with a single fert. Not once. How long can it go on looking this good and with this kind of growth? Were going to find out.

90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just an update shot of the tank tonight. I am very happy with this tank so far, especially the HC. It is spreading exactly how I'd hoped it would, better than in my 20. I added a new plant to the left rear corner, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata "Cuba" Put a bit of this plant in my 20 as well, see how it does in each tank. Still not dosing any ferts, but will probably start soon. Been reading others posts and Plantbrain has talked some sense into me. Low or no NO3 is just asking for trouble, sooner or later.

90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
Old 07-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxwell1295 Send a message via Yahoo to maxwell1295
That is just incredible.....that kind of growth with no ferts? Wow!

125 Gallon Mixed African Thread, 75 Gallon Mixed Malawi Thread
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello all, I've been on holidays this week and thought I would post an update of the tank. I ran CO2 into the AC mini while I was away in case the bubble ladder clogged, everything worked well, tank was in good shape when I got home. The HC has pretty much covererd the substrate, still a couple of bare spots, not bad for just under 2 months. Moved the Samolus valerandi to the back, took the Bacopa out as it grew way to fast and big for this tank. Got a couple of stems of Rotala sp Vietnam and Ammania bonsai(thanks czcz) in this tank as well, they are just starting to catch. Put in a couple of small Yo Yo loaches as snails are starting to get out of control, also dosed this tank for the first time tonight as I noticed some browny, black algea starting. Here is the tank tonight.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:58 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Wow it is growing in great!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:21 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

Love it
Old 07-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
Amazing layout,I envy you,you have such good experiences with HC.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Regular

Look sensational! Im now thinking of setting up my 10G.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

looks awesome! I could stare at that tank for hours. I haven't had much luck with carpet plants in my 55gal, and the 'scaping suffers for it. This tank shows the importance of a nice thick foreground carpet.

hmmm....maybe the 10g I just bought for a FOWLR would be better as another planted tank????
Old 07-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #70
AA Team Emeritus

Great tank

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a quick update, the HC is done. It has covered the tank, front to back, now it's getting thick! Having a small algea outbreak, probably from not dosing soon enough. Nothing magor yet, kinda greenish black, you can see it on the E tennelus. The Yo yo says hello!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture_690_211.jpg (144.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg picture_694_197.jpg (148.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 07-30-2006, 01:20 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Great looking tank.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:24 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
If the HC gets too thick the bottoms will rot and the top will float off to the surface.Great tank that sea of HC is dazzling.Where you planning on doing an iwagumi set-up?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure what I'm doing with this tank now, iwagumi was the original idea. I was focusing on getting the HC happening, now it's pretty much done. I have noticed the HC in my 20 gallon lifting slightly in the corners. I grabbed the middle section and pulled, it is still attatched firmly. It's been in there since Jan. It's over an inch thick right across the front. HC spreads like crazy, I've noticed when it runs out of room it starts to grow on top of itself, probably stops depending on the substrate for anchorage. Makes sense the bottoms could start to rot, then the whole plant will lift. Yikes! Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye on it.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #75
AA Team Emeritus

My loaches are jealous of your loaches.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Small update, nothing magor going on in this tank. I put a small fluval submersible filter in this tank instead of the AC mini. I am getting better CO2 levels now, less surface aggitation. Nice clean water, better current as well. Been fighting a weird brownish black algea, you can see it on all the plants and rocks. It's been around for a few weeks now. Hopefully the higher CO2 and better current with the new filter will help kill it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture_787_176.jpg (151.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-24-2006, 08:18 PM   #77
AA Team Emeritus

Despite you griping about the algae, that carpet looks good enough to picnic on.

Great work.

(leaves to toss tank out window). LOL.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
that tank looks so much larger than 10 gallons. Amazing!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #79
AA Team Emeritus

Looking sweet, Glen.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys. Jchillin, lol, your tanks are pretty smokin as well! Certain plants I can grow well, others melt quick. I only show you guys the ones that do well for me! HC, lucky enough, is one of them. I moved three small stems of Ludwigia arcuata into this tank that all died off in my 20. It is starting to do well. Same water, same dosing, slightly different lighting. Odd. I am sending some HC out to some members soon, If you want to try it let me know, got to thin this tank out a bit. Don't want floating HC again.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com