Trying something different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yet another update! I had the day off today and decided I wanted more plants in this tank, less rocks. Until I get more tanks on the go to try and keep different layouts, plants will have priority over rocks! Removed some stuff, added a bunch of Samolus valerandi. It stays small, about 8-10 inches so longterm it hopefully won't outgrow the tank. Also grows extremely well for me! I left space behind the S valerandi so I can fill in behind with other slightly taller stem plants to give it more colourful, layered effect. Not sure what plants to use in behind, the ones in there now may or may not stay. Probably only going to keep the L. arcuata. Still mulling it over. I threw in a couple of L. palustris stems to colour it up a bit until I decide what I'm going to use. The taller S valerandi near the center looks kinda goofy now as it's been in there for a few months, pruned some leaves to remove stubborn algea. Hopefully the others will catch up in height soon :)

looking good glen. once it fills in it should look amazing. the colour seems to be off in your pictures.... like the H.cuba is a very dull green compared to its normal bright green colouration. still looks awesome.

Good eye mrfunktastic, the colour is off. I am running half the lights in an attempt to kill off algea that has been plauging this tank. It also just came off a three day blackout. Algea is still around, though not nearly as bad. Shoud have blacked out for 5 days.

lol wow those lights really do magic. i just went up and looked at my tank for comparison and it was a big difference. i hope the algea goes away so we can see the tank the way it is supposed to be seen.

LOL...you have half the lights off and you're still 2wpg better than I am. :) I'm just thinking (which is sometimes dangerous) but I can't help but wonder what an outcropping of dwarf sag would look like in front of the palustris. :?:

Great looking tank! Your tanks always inspired me Glen. I might just have to convert my 10 gal hospital tank to a planted one this weekend!

The splashes of red looks good in there.

Peyton go for it! The more planted tanks you have, the more stuff you can try out, plants, layouts etc. You'll learn quicker. If I had discovered this hobby when I was a single guy, I would have many more tanks than I have now. The possibilitys just blow you away..... Ok, back to reality as my sons are yelling for me! No space, not much time, and alot less money are holding me to only 2 high light, CO2 charged tanks. If I could do more, I would do it tomorrow.
Mrfunktastic, I usually run 36 wts CF, 2- 9wt 10,000k bulbs + 2- 9wt 6700k bulbs. Also 1-15 wt t-6 6700k Aqua flora on the front. Only the 15wt t-6 is running at the moment. Still getting pearling even at this low light. Trying to lose some persistent algea, reducing light usually works for me. I'm not 100% happy with this tank at the moment, hoping it fills in like I invision it. Probably going to take 3-4 months, maybe more. If I can get the S. valerandi to grow like in my 20, it should look very nice. Time will tell, if I can leave it alone :)

The BBA is disappearing in this tank thanks to fert balancing, water changes, slight reduction in light and I believe mostly because of the introduction of Tom Barr's CO2 mist method. I am getting better C02 levels and unreal pearling since I started the mist method. I am putting the C02 into a small powerhead which blows fine bubbles all around the tank. Plants are loving it. I thought I'd post a couple of shots of the HC pearling like crazy. :)

Hopefully the mist method will work for me, as I've ordered my Reactor 1000's, and will run a line from the Excess CO2 vent directly to my MaxiJet 600 PH for a mist effect. So I'll have both the reactor as well as a mist going in my 29G and 75G. Your tank is looking fantastic. And love the pearling...

Great pics. Your Ammania sp "Bonsai"/R. indica is turning a real nice color too. Great work Glen.

damn you glenc lol just kidding your hc looks great how long does it take to get a good carpet going ive had mine about 2 weeks and am not getting good growth anytips.

i think his carpet took 3 months. the number one thing for cuba i believe is co2 levels. they need to be constant and high. glen changes out his bottle everyweek regardless of production. he also uses 1/2 tbs of yeast in his DIY co2 compared to the 1/4 that most people use. this produces more for a shorter time. the cuba he sent me refused to stay down but a few pices did stay and i can see the little runners that the cuba sends. its not much but it is something.

alright i have pretty good production about 2 bubbles a secong but going to add another bottle this week for more production hopefully that helps also i use the same recipe as glenc.i just took a closer look and it has shot out some runners.guess its just a matter of time.

Thanks mrfunk, that says it all. Good C02 levels, high light and good sandy or fine substrate should do the trick. Also remove fish that might dig it up before it gets a chance to root. Needs time to grab on, couple of weeks for me. I had to keep my loaches out of the tank for a while. Once it takes hold, it wont move. When I do water changes I pour the water directly on top of the HC pretty quick to stir stuff up, it dosen't budge. Also when you plant it, spread it thin. The more small patches you plant the faster you will get a nice carpet. Takes patience and tweezers, took me 2 hrs to plant my ten. The result was well worth it :)

well in got it planted in small thin patches i have high light but dont know about my c02 levels so i guess its just time.

Small update, got a good deal on a fluval 105, now running it on this tank, water is crystal clear and the BBA is retreating. Added a few fast growers as this tank has mostly slow growing plants, will keep them in until the slow growers are large enough to keep algea at bay. You can see the line the S. valerandi is starting to take as the mid-backline, also a few holes in the HC where I removed rocks, HC is slowly covering them up. So far so good. :)

Attachments

• picture_005_651.jpg
    picture_005_651.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom