Trying to build something, a babbling post and catching up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok... now I understand. Yes... yellowing of the leaves of an orchid are a sign of an old leaf soon to depart orchid world. Setting out new roots is a sign of a healthy growing orchid, but not as good a sign as new leaf growth. The roots are used for attachment and also to wick up moisture, but the orchid gets its nutrition primarily through the leaves, not via the roots. Misting the leaves is great. That's what professional orchid growers do. It's just that orchids don't like to sit in water. If they do, their roots start to rot, the leaves will shrivel up, and the plant will die.

Another peculiar thing about orchids is that the signs of too much water and to little water are about the same. In either case the leaves shrivel up. And once they shrivel up they do not return to normal even after the over or under watering conditions have been corrected. But after correction, it will put out new, plump, healthy leaves. The green leaves of your orchid look healthy to me.

Growing rice is a great idea! The only edible orchid is the vanilla bean producing orchid. But there are dozens of edible rice plants. :D

Sorry for my delay. Thank you elwaine! Sure enough, those yellow leaves fell off at the slightest touch even in these past couple days. Moved the Orchid up as mentioned earlier and from your advice. I wish I cared more about this plant right now (I like it a lot most of the time), but I just don't and will take it easy and see if I get new leaves.

Anyway, pics! I took these first couple last night. Notice the cool brown spots on the glass, which I normally only see on younger tanks. This (along with certain plants, below) makes me think the Dario dario wipeout caused a pretty significant NH3/4 spike -- I had I think 16 (8M, 8F) and only removed maybe 5 bodies. The rest were somewhere in the plant matter or eaten by other fish...
glass.jpg

Here it is a little closer
spots.jpg

Here's some thread algae on the Weeping moss
algaeonmoss_algaeonglass.jpg

algae.jpg

But it was too tough to keep taking pics through the glass, so I did a scrape of the front and back, water change, then stopped with aquaria for the night. Then took some pics before leaving for work this am. Here's more algae pics that show the fish too, cause, you know, they're fun, too.

Gives you an idea of how bad the green spot is (did not touch the side walls) and how cute Kuhliis are (their faces are like little Otters!)
kuhlii.jpg

Here's thread algae on HM and an Oto.
otoplusalgae.jpg

One of 10 Cory hasborus. One of my LFS actually scored these but the biggest Cory (not pictured) is missing his right eye, though its so well healed I am guessing it happened when the animal was really young. I mention this because he is super cute and about two and a half times the size of this guy. I'll show you a pic of him later if you guys don't mind the single eye thing (and you probably don't since you apparently don't mind seeing my algae )...
coryplusalgae.jpg

One of the female Brown SpikeTailed Paradise Fish (some other sort of anabantoid? A Gourami?). You can see the thread on the moss rock and Anubias to the left.
femaleparadise.jpg

I liked that last one so much, here's one where you can see her along with a male.
paradise.jpg

Here's a better pic of the Rotala Mini Type 2 field (you can see a pic after planting a few weeks ago). It really took off and I wish I could get a better picture of the way these leaves curl. It invokes thoughts of a rose.
minitype2field.jpg

Which looks sweet, until you get closer and see the algae.
algaeinminifield.jpg

As you can also see, the Downoi that had direct sunlight (this whole right section) melted away. So instead I am using Rotala Mexicana 'type Goias' from WolfenCrazyName -- some of the old timers may remember Travis and I tried to propgate this across AA a few years ago as Rotala sp 'from Goias'; this is one of my favorite plants ever. There's already some beautifully colored growth starting to come up.
goias2.jpg

goias.jpg

Then as I was imagining how the field would look in, my Bushynose Pleco decided to remind me she can ruin whatever she wants whenever we wants, much like the women in my life, but after this pic she moved on sweetly without any damage...
bushy.jpg

And here's a bonus pic of a Sparkling Gourami just cause its cute and stuffs.
sparkling.jpg

elwaine, you're right about how great HM is, plus its a great nutrient indicator (right now it is my Fe indicator), but my stuff is actually getting choked off by algae and the more aggressive Rotalas for light. Check out the growth in the back from here (its so far from the glass it is hard to picture):
hmchoked2.jpg

And the top
hm_choked.jpg

I think the plant you liked so much may have been Rotala sp. 'Green':
rotalagreen.jpg

Here's some green spot on an old Crypt lutea. Notice that it leaves the Rotala Macrandra "narrow-leaf" alone.
greenspotoncrypt.jpg

As another indicator of what I believe was high N (from NH3/4/dead fish), notice that while the stems of R. macrandra "narrow leaf" stay red, the leaves are green. While this looks awesome, it should not look this way. (R. macrandra "narrow-leaf" is commonly known by the vivid name Rotala Magenta.)
macrandranarrow.jpg

Bonus pic of the cave my dominant male lives in
cave.jpg

Gives you an idea of how fast the Poaceae sp/"Purple Bamboo" grows. Not touched the plant since the last pics and the Orchid is even higher than the last pic!
purplebamboogrowfast.jpg

nd here's the stuff I *really* wanted to show you guys. Crypts are coming emergent in the back!
crypt2.jpg

crypt1.jpg

As close as I could get to one of the leaves (its really hard to get back there):
crypt_leaf_close.jpg

L. aromatica has about 1" out of water with tighter, shorter leaf form
laromatica.jpg

But in the end I need to clean the glass so I get a great shot of the wild but very pretty things happening in the back section
back.jpg

And (half) full (dirty) tank shot
tank_123108.jpg

I have to get back to work and prep for tonight and stuff, btw, but there's other current threads on AA I'd love to post to. Just can't. Hope you like these pics though :) Have a safe and great end of the year. Type next year!!! <3

Looking pretty good besides your little algae break out. I'm looking into some of those pygmy cories aswell, might get some online.

I think a cool addition for fish to this tank would be a pair of killi fish. They are very interesting fish and look great in any natural looking tank, like the one you got here :D.

Thanks for those pictures!

It's amazing how much you have going on in that paludarium - and I'm not referring to the algae... although the algae is a very real part of that ecosystem. By just looking at the individual pictures, one would never guess the size of the tank. From the close-ups, it could be a 110 gallon tank or larger.

How are you planning to deal with the hair algae? Any tips or tricks for us in that regard?

You are really getting on my nerves Joe, just what do you hope to accomplish by setting my ego back over and over again? :)

In the meantime, I've had good success in treating hair algae with additional doses of potassium.

It's looking great and I am learning tons by this thread. You never know, next tank project may be a copycat. :)

<3, Bill. ;)

Excel will totally kill this kind of thread algae and while some purists think it's cheating (and I'm normally one of those guys who thinks of himself as a purist), I know for a fact lots of name guys who know plants use it for short periods during trouble times as an algaecide and just don't talk about it. Lots. LOTS. My opinion is Excel and this kind of Algae is an easy kill and a quick fix, just like a big water change after a misdose or being stupid and killing fish. And, most importantly, it does not harm plants. (Its better to cheat a little than to ever use anything that harms plants. IMO this includes Hydrogen Peroxide, which will melt many sensitive plants with spot doses. Excel will hurt some plants too, but not many.)

So if it doesn't die back even more or something I'll pick up some Excel. ;)

But it is dying back already. After the Dario masacre, I did lots (maybe 5 of 50%?) of water changes for about two days. Following instinct, I increased CO2, which with my non-limiting light should drive up plant uptake, so I also bumped my P dose. I did not dose N because plants prefer inorganic N (such as from KNO3) to organic N (such as from my dead fish), and I figured I needed their help with that. (I always dose an excess of K and traces.) I added 6 Amano shrimp last week after I felt good about the CO2 level and the fish but **** its awesome to watch the Paradise Fish attack shrimp. I pulled those bodies out the next morning. About a week ago I started dosing N again.

But after your question I remembered that I used to be able to induce then kill this algae whenever I wanted, posted pictures about it through a bunch of threads, and that in exchanges with Travis and folks I thought we found the secret to this stuff and that it led to better plant health (and easier since we dose anyway) then using Excel. After searching through threads I now see my experience then was different than now: we thought the secret was not enough N. If you get around to it, check out this blasts from the past, which were really good threads including posts and pics from some folks who had very nice tanks, some of which hit those nice golden moments shortly after they figured out the stuff in these exact threads! :

Doing it with dosing: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/hair-algae-problem-70881.html
Doing it with Excel/Algaecide: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...h-peroxide-to-kill-82921.html?highlight=Excel

So after reading them and recalling past experience, I think I made a mistake by dropping N dosing once the fish died. But not sure. I'd need to set up a tank and play with organic N (I have only played with C.A.N., which I believe to be inorganic NH4) to have a better guess, but I'm not going to do that because thats the kind of thought process that had me spending a little time with lots of test tanks instead of as much time as I can with one favorite fun tank :)

I'll post updates on the thread. In the dosing (no Excel) thread you'll see this same algae in front of some L. brevipes and ET... I remember within three weeks or so that part of that tank was one of my favorites and it made me believe growing plants in a high uptake tank with was way easy and fun. :)

If folks do get around to (re)reading those threads, ignore what I said about 5ppm PO4 and algae. I had done it since because smarter people did not believe me, and now understand that was from something else (the C.A.N.) and my test/method was wrong.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I hope it helps my tank, too.

Thread algae on an Oto

Here's thread algae on HM and an Oto.
otoplusalgae.jpg

I hope the Oto doesn't mind having thread algae on him/her.

I'm battling thread algae in both tanks. It insinuates itself amongst the HC and grows from some of the driftwood branches.

I've double-dosed Excel, and turned off the lights. CO2 remains on during the day. I did a large water change on day one and fertilized as usual except I withheld iron. Tomorrow, day 4, lights come back on. I'll do another large water change, fertilize (but no iron) and cut back Excel to regular doses for a few weeks.

I can't tell yet whether I'm having any success with the thread algae - but my Cladophora algae is dying, and that is not what I hoped would happen.

Your HC is so pimp I think you just need time and do your method of no pearling means something is missing. You may be able to see some thread remaining in these pics, but all that's happened in this tank is maintained dosing. (Though via EI and a very busy couple of weeks I cut down my macro dosing to a couple days a week while bumping up each dose, eyeballed, but still kept up with daily micros.)

I don't think its related to Iron at all, fwiw. But other people seem to, so... *shrug*

Anyway, enough pics to bore you guys from last night, this morning, and around noon today, all jumbled up. I trimmed some stuff two weeks ago to tighten things up but its just gone all wild again anyway. I might trim tonight and clean up some stuff... or not...

Full tank
fts.jpg

HC Fail. I don't know why this is happening -- my guys are uprooting it? I just suck?
hcfail.jpg

So I am thinking of going open foreground or maybe just spreading around the Rotala Mexicana 'Goias', which has established and taken off (its the stuff in the right foreground)
goias1.jpg

goias2.jpg

goias3.jpg

goias4.jpg

goias7.jpg

The Rotala Mini Type 2 has also gone nuts. Love it. Remeber how cool the hardscape back here used to look? That's HM framing it and growing in parts of it.

minitype2_1.jpg

minitype2_2.jpg

moremini1.jpg

moremini2.jpg

minitop.jpg

My guys like it, too

paradisemini.jpg

And going up top for the right side... front to back is Rotala Mexicana 'Goias', (and Downoi/ Pogostemon helferi on the left there), R Mini Type 2, H. micranthemiodes, and Anubias nana 'Petite' tied to that branch on the right.
top_right_full.jpg

From the side you can see behind that row/wood comes in R. wallichii, R. rotundifolia 'Green', more Mini Type 2, more R. wallichii, and Dwarf Riccia held to the mesh to hide piping. (I ditched all the regular Rotundifolia)
top_right2.jpg

And top view of the right from the front of the tank
top_right.jpg

And the center. Mostly R. 'Green', HM, more Dwarf Riccia hiding the pots on the left. Puple bamboo emergent.
top_center.jpg

Left center shows the Bacopa thats become a PITA and the Orchid and Ranunculus you know already.
top_leftcenter.jpg

MySpace Angles ;)
top_angle.jpg

That tasty Tillandsia sp was one of many gifts from elwaine! I do not deserve credit for this pimp puple inflourescence -- all Larry.
elwaine.jpg

elwaine2.jpg

elwaine3.jpg

Again, cause I like the top views
backwithbacopa.jpg

But too mesy so moved some of that Bacopa mess out so you can better appreciate whats going on back there. Look close and you'll see emergent L. aromatica, some pale yellow plant (?), a couple different Crypts, and HM.

ranunculus.jpg

Back peeking in through the front left
peekintotheback.jpg

Back from the side
backside.jpg

Jnam hooked me up with some Crypts I tossed in the back. I do not know which (if either) of these are his and which is some C. albida I scored, but these leaves are cool...

crypt_full.jpg

crypt1.jpg

crypt_dry.jpg

crypt_dry2.jpg

This appears to be the other kind
crypt_full_another.jpg

L. aromatica
laromatica2.jpg

laromatica.jpg

HM Macros
hm.jpg

hm2.jpg

Back submerged, check out how vertical the Downoi gets. Its shaded by all that Mini Type 2 but theres still plenty of sunlight that gets there (this picture was taken this morning, with only 9am-ish sunlight, no tank lights). I like it.

downoi.jpg

My dominant male now likes it around that area more than the back. His lady is in this pic -- he does not seem to care for the rest, and she helps defend the area. I see lots of nests from him in this area. He's also developed this blue spot on his side.
blue.jpg

He also has white lips now?!?! but otherwise seems very healthy and colorful. The rest of the fish lack the white lips and blue spot.
blue_sup.jpg

whitelips.jpg

More Paradise fish pics. The others hang on the left side here and all come out when the fog happens.

justchillin.jpg

paradise.jpg

paradise2.jpg

paradise5.jpg

paradise_dawn.jpg

paradise_female.jpg

I love this pic despite the reflection
paradise_mouth.jpg

paradise_ohai.jpg

My dominant female

female.jpg

This morning the Bushynose Plec was out. She looks great with the sunlight :)
bushy.jpg

bushy2.jpg

Cory hasborus
hasborus.jpg

Oto!
oto.jpg

Back
Top Bottom