Trying to calculate this flourish excel dosage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need some help. I got a 5 gallon planted tank. So It says to first start by adding a capful which is for 10 gallons. I however do half that since I got a 5 gallon. Then it says every day or every other day do 1 capful for 50 gallons. How much do I put in for my 5 gallon every other day? One drop?

I believe every thread on the inside of the cap is 1ml. You need 0.5ml. I use a syringe to dose mine. If you as for a 1cc syringe at your local pharmacy, they should be able to help you out. Then just draw up 0.5cc or ml of excel and squirt it in the tank. I found that to be the easiest way.

Using Seachem's Flourish Excel

Hello Brand...

Speaking from experience, I'd rethink the use of Flourish Excel. This liquid contains "Gluteraldehyde", an industrial form of carbon that's toxic to the more primitive plants like ferns, mosses and varieties of Vallisneria.

I used this fert about a year ago and it damaged my ferns. They're fine now, but it took several months for them to recover. My "Corkscrew" Vals weren't as lucky and my Singapore moss died back considerably.

Just a warning. If you keep the doses small, you may be fine and the fert seems to work well for the more complex aquatic plants.

B

Hello Brand...

Speaking from experience, I'd rethink the use of Flourish Excel. This liquid contains "Gluteraldehyde", an industrial form of carbon that's toxic to the more primitive plants like ferns, mosses and varieties of Vallisneria.

I have never experienced any die off or damage to mosses or ferns while using excel and that was even when dosing triple or more when fighting algae. It is possible for plants like Vals, pelia and subwassertang(which are very effected by excel) to build up a tolerance if it is used in minute doses and raised slowly over time.

Dosing Flourish Excel

Good morning Gillie...

I possibly blamed the Flourish Excel unfairly, but at the time, that was the only fert I added. When I stopped using it, my ferns and mosses recovered, but I lost the Vals.

I have several, large, well planted tanks and this fert isn't cost effective to use. I've started using less expensive, bulk liquids from my local hydroponics store that don't contain the "Glut" carbon and my plants have really responded.

Every tank condition is different, so I'm glad it works for you.

B

A benefit I found from Excel is that it kills black hair algae. I have had no issues with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom