Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trying to improve lighting in 29-gallon tank

Some backstory:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-146311.html

Now that I have the technical aspect out of the way, regarding my means of improving my light in my tank, my question is this:

Will this fixture provide enough light for my plants? http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaSun-Fluorescent-24-Inch/dp/B0002DIRAU

According to the wiki, regarding luminous efficacy, T5 bulbs yield 70lm/W, at the very least. The fixture uses dual 24W T5 bulbs, meaning I would have at least 3360lm, total. Some (very) rough math puts that around 115lm/Gal in my tank.

Any input?

Old 04-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

Make sure you have the right bulb for the purpose. Depending on the spectrum the bulbs can have less lumens even with more Watts. Check the lm output of the specific bulb, don't rely on wattage.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That particular fixture won't fit a 29g tank. You'll have to get the 30" model. It should still use the same 24" T5HO bulbs though.

If you got a 2x24W T5HO fixture with ~6700K bulbs for your 29g, you should be solidly in the medium-light range and be able to grow a variety of plants. Just make sure you don't get an actinic bulb. They're useless to plants.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually started a new thread on this. Feel free to take a look if you're interested.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ge-147393.html
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 29g tank and recently upgraded lighting - I went with the ZooMed 30" fixture (uses the same 24" bulbs as the one you posted). Thing is - the fixture needs to be the same length as the tank, unless you are going to hang it from above. While a longer fixture might still work because of the method of attaching to tank - but a longer fixture would over-hang each end of the tank as well (next bulb length after 24" is 36").

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteWildfire View Post
Some backstory:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-146311.html

Now that I have the technical aspect out of the way, regarding my means of improving my light in my tank, my question is this:

Will this fixture provide enough light for my plants? http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaSun-Fluorescent-24-Inch/dp/B0002DIRAU

Any input?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, I went with the 30" fixture as well. My post before yours tells about the whole process. :]

Tags
light, lighting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com