Twin 20s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I had the opportunity to aquire two "new" 20 gallon long aquariums in the last few months. One free from a neighbor and one that I traded RCS for. They are cycled now and have a few fish in, so I thought I'd share some pics. Both are set up in my sons' room (8 and 6 yrs).

Tank #1
img_1392146_0_b5a522feafa40f237d7f7e1e032f9441.jpg

img_1392146_1_6727a010ff563e6ef0b2bc65a0b3f25d.jpg

img_1392146_2_9aecb2cc0faca4f30df69b7fe9461537.jpg

Plants are Echinodorus amazonicus, java moss, and java fern.

Tank #2

img_1392154_0_ff18c168f4ca7d11ef1ed1f9275a1315.jpg

img_1392154_1_ec7af7a738dedf9c43dcb710a980efce.jpg

Plants in this tank are Echinodorus amazonicus, anubias, java moss, and java fern.

Full shot:

img_1392154_2_922dc80abcf800b03f5008439c1cba73.jpg

Real wood...came from the neighbor that gifted us that tank. The wood wouldn't sink so we couldn't really arrange it the way we had planned, but we propped some large river rocks up against it and that seems to be working. My 8 year old had the idea of sticking java fern in the little holes.

The other tank is a bit bare atm, but should look better once the swords have time to grow.

Yes, very cool look. She actually gave us a smaller piece as well...Might try to figure out a way to incorporate it into the other 20 gal since it doesn't have any wood in it. Looked it up, apparently it's often used with reptiles and is called choya cactus wood (neighbor had a small snake.)

I believe that wood is cholla (Choi a) wood. It is a cactus that the outer 'skin' has rotted off of. I have never thought of putting it in my aquarium, I have tuns of it in my front yard.

I have cholla in my tanks. Plecos love to chew on it. My shrimp use it as a breeding cave. I tied a ball of java moss on it and anchored it down. The shrimp hang out all day in it.

I will have to try some in my tank! It looks awesome! Thanks for the idea

I believe that wood is cholla (Choi a) wood. It is a cactus that the outer 'skin' has rotted off of. I have never thought of putting it in my aquarium, I have tuns of it in my front yard.

Google search spelled it choya. Good to know the correct way to spell it!

I have seen it spelt both ways. But we need to get back on topic. The 2 tanks look marvelous!

I see some people's tanks and think seriously you couldn't do any better than that. Then I see tanks like yours that even at the beginning stages show me I have know clue what I am doing.

wow alisha, your boys' tanks are just marvelous...

on the first one, I am loving the look of the moss because it almost cover the whole ground in the right side.

the second one is just so relaxing looking....

what a good pair.....they are so fortunate to have a mommy like you...:)

Back
Top Bottom