type of bottom soil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowafishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank with gravel as the bottom soil. I am wanting to plant live plants. So my question is what is the best type of bottom soil to sustain live plants?

:welcome: to AA! (y)

Gravel is actually fine form plants ... many members have gravel as a substrate, as long as it can hold the roots, your set. However if you are seriously considering switching substrate, consider Pool Filter Sand. It's fine enough to really anchor roots, but coarse enough not to cloud up the water when disturbed.

If you want to keep the gravel look, you can pour the PFS over the area where your plants are and it'll work it's way underneath the gravel giving you sand to anchor the plants, but keep that gravel look.

There are other types of substrates like eco-complete etc ... members have had success with it ... but if your looking for a relatively inexpensive yet effective substrate, PFS works well.

No matter what substrate, dosing with liquid ferts and root tabs can help keep plants healthy and looking good.

Good luck

I'd go with ecocomplete or floramax if you want to keep it simple. If you like to DIY, try the mineralized topsoil method.

You can grow plants in straight gravel or filter sand, but having a high CEC substrate does make a significant difference, and I suggest getting a more plant friendly substrate for anyone who plans to get heavily into tank planting.

Here's a quick read on CEC Cation Exchange Capacity in Soils, Simplified

Back
Top Bottom