Type of light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting the kit from AHSupply, but was wondering what temp bulb to get. Does the temp have anything to do with plant growth, or just appearance. I want my tank to look good when the lights are on and also me able to grow plants. BTW, I have a 55 gal and Im ordering 2-55 watts for the tank. Thanks

Color temp will only affect what you see. I ordered the 4x55 kit from them and got 2 5500k and 2 6700k. I did that cause the 5500k have a higher cri rating but will look a little yellow i belive.So to offset that i got 2 6700k which will be "whiter" but have a lower cri value. Both will grow plants but 6700 will look better. Someone here will correct me if im wrong, but i blive that is how it works. I currently am running 4x40watt tubes and have 2 5500k and 2x18000k. The 5500k are bright but yellow and the 18000k were just a waste of money. They look blue.

most plant bulbs will be in the range of 5500-10000, anything beyond that range and the benefit to plants decreases while the benefit to algae increases. if you're starting out, go with the 6700k. that's what is on my 29gal and the new 10gal right now and they look very good (the 10gal is actually 6400k.) 5500k and stuff below with tend to have a wash out effect on red plants, whereas if you go into the 9325k range, reds really start to pop out. i like how madasafish's tank looks and he's using a combination of 9325 and 10000k. you can experiment with those things, but for starting out the 6700 is pretty foolproof.

Thanks for all your responses, I'm ordering the kit today.

Back
Top Bottom