Types of Sand Substrate?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devinb96

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was wondering what type of Sand Substrate I should for a planted tank I am going to be making.

I have a 20 gallon tank and plan on putting an S-repen carpet and some Amazon Swords in the back.
I will have a Peacock Eel in there as well.

What type of Sand do you'll suggest?
Play Sand, pool sand, or any other types of Sands?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

PFS Pool Filter Sand is tannish white

I use CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand black.

If you aren't planning on Corys you can use Black Diamond Blasting Sand ( black). It's cheap

Play sand is ok, but lots of rinsing and it's sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Eco complete sand or flourite black would be good for a planted tank, i use pfs with a flourite base and lots of root tabs..

PFS Pool Filter Sand is tannish white

I use CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand black.

If you aren't planning on Corys you can use Black Diamond Blasting Sand ( black). It's cheap

Play sand is ok, but lots of rinsing and it's sharp.

Oh ok nice, I think I'll go with pfs. It's cheaper and do you have to rinse it a lot like play sand??

Eco complete sand or flourite black would be good for a planted tank, i use pfs with a flourite base and lots of root tabs..

So a good base of nutrient substrate and I can do the rest sand?
Is there anyway to make sure the plants don't get uprooted? I'm going to be Hayne a Peacock Eel.

If I had it to do all over again I'd use all eco. In your case you'd be best to use the same throughout. I read up on your eel, seems they're prolific diggers and burrowers. You want to stick with heavily rooted plants like swords and crypts, also tied on plants like anubias and java fern. You can use pfs and root tabs for the rooted plants, no problem.

If I had it to do all over again I'd use all eco. In your case you'd be best to use the same throughout. I read up on your eel, seems they're prolific diggers and burrowers. You want to stick with heavily rooted plants like swords and crypts, also tied on plants like anubias and java fern. You can use pfs and root tabs for the rooted plants, no problem.

Oh ok that's good! So having a carpet of S-Repens wouldn't be a good idea because the eel will burrow and possibly uproot them??

Oh ok that's good! So having a carpet of S-Repens wouldn't be a good idea because the eel will burrow and possibly uproot them??

Pretty much:(

Pretty much:(

Haha, eeegh it's fine.
Glad I decided not to do a carpet cause I definitely would not want to have to deal with an uprooted carpet Hahaha, that would be such a pain! Lol

Haha, eeegh it's fine.
Glad I decided not to do a carpet cause I definitely would not want to have to deal with an uprooted carpet Hahaha, that would be such a pain! Lol

Once they get rooted, stars are pretty tough, it's just getting them established that would pose the challenge.

Once they get rooted, stars are pretty tough, it's just getting them established that would pose the challenge.

What plants would you recommend for a PFS tank setup?
And thanks for helping me out! :thanks:

You could always do a small crypt. Parva doesn't get too tall I don't think. There are probably others I don't know about.

I've also heard of people using water wisteria as a carpet too by laying it down- it will grow upwards still.

Back
Top Bottom