UGJ and Planted Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeerBotia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked this up from the general forum:

Cichlidlovers said:
Here is the link for what my hubby wants to do it is not a UGF

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

please read this and give me your input, I don't think it will work wit sand.

This seems like an interesting idea to keep the substrate clean, although it may impede nutrient absorption into the substrate.

Anybody experiment with this "technology" in a planted tank? Thoughts?

BB,

That is a neat idea, but I see some reasons NOT to do it in a planted tank. The main reason I wouldn't try it is because I use some "roottab" type fertilizer. the main idea of this type fert. is to keep it in the substrate where root-feeding plants can utilize it. With that UGJ set up, the fertilizer would likely disolve faster and be pushed by the jets out into the water column. You'd end up with less fertilizer where you want it (in the substrate), and too much fertilizer in the water column, very likely creating algae problems. 8O That is quite enough reason right there for me to avoid this "technology" in my planted tanks.

For a fish-only tank with no live plants it sounds like an intriguing idea though, especially for those of us that enjoy DIY and experimenting.

This is a wonderful article that I have bookmarked also, because it is a great plan for larger tanks, especially for rocky cichlid tanks. I think planted tanks need to have the mulm sitting on the substrate to some degree, at least I "think" it is better in the long run. This will depend greatly on what plants you have. Some don't like current that might be created by the UGJ.

Back
Top Bottom