Underwater bonzai experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any idea where I can find driftwood that resembles an old branchy tree? I've looked at all the ones being sold on the web, real or artificial, and have come up with nothing except for some little plastic thing from Petco.

The idea is to tie some Java Moss to the 'branches' to let them grow out and trim to the size and shape desired, just like bonzai. I've had this idea for awhile, and I've got more than enough Java Moss to make 10 of these things. The rate limiting factor is the pseudo tree. Any help is appreciated. It doesn't help that I'll be moving soon. Don't even know where a good petstore is in Rhode Island. Will I have to keep putting this off???!!!

No idea where to get the wood close to you, but this has been done quite successfully before. Attached is a fave photo of mine of a tank in Taiwan.

Attachments

• taiwanese0390.jpg
    taiwanese0390.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 126
its too light to be java moss. unless you mean the ones in the front. on the tree i dont know what it is... it looks more like a riccia color, but not teh right texture

yeah. ive tried putting java moss on my driftwood but it wont stick. i guess mine might be too smooth

Yep, but it doesn't add enough FeO2 to the water to cause any issues and about the time they rust out the moss should be well-attached. Works like a charm.

I've never had problems with java moss attaching to anything. It even attached to my resin tree root ornament. I wonder if the wood they used is something they found in their back yard? Broken branchy twig? Most driftwood I've seen look like stumps, even the so called "branchy driftwood". I guess I'll have to put off this project until I get lucky and find one lying around some place.

the stuff in your back yard usually doesnt work because its too dead or too alive.

WOW!! What a great idea! I love it. I used to be into bonsai way before most people ever heard of it. I loved the creativity. (mice ate rings around the trunks one winter and I lost all my good ones, so gave it up :cry: ) But with this idea,,mm... a lot of possibilies.

How about Pellia / Monosolenium tenerum?

Dsc_1273.jpg

from http://www.akwafoto.pl/fotoreport/interzoo2004/interzoo_rosliny1.php

You misinterpreted what I had said,,,, maybe a little on purpose ? :? There was a time when a person would mention bonsai around here, that not too many people would have heard of it....It has only been the last decade or so that we see them everywhere, like Walmart and grocery stores. When I was into the hobby you would have to travel to bigger centers like Toronto or Rochester and visit bonsai club shows or specialty shops to see true bonsai.

Heheh, it's nice to see you Canadians ribbing each other for a change :wink:

I've also seen Riccia used in a Bonsai-like manner. And there are always Marimo balls for the Cladophora-inclined among us :p

Back
Top Bottom