unfiltered tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
This concept's been rattling around in my head--partially because of Lonewolfblue's comment about not trimming the entire tank because the plants are so much of the filter--and partially because my one filter was acting up and I almost left it to be an unfiltered tank (I did eventually figure out how to get the filter running again...).

But anyway, I'm interested in hearing folks' experiences with planted unfiltered tanks. What tanks do you have that are unfiltered and what makes them successful etc.?

Thanks!

All of my tanks are "unfiltered". I've got a 10 gallon, 5.5 gallon, 2.5 gallon, and 0.5 gallon which are all heavily planted and all at least medium light if not high to very high light (light levels can be a bit hard to judge on these smaller tanks). All receive carbon from either CO2 injection or Flourish Excel dosing along with EI dosing.

Joy, what do you do about gunk build up? I really appreciate being able to open the filter once a month (cannister)m and toss a lot of muck that didn't stay in my tank. I don't vaccum much tho..

I do have water pumps in the three larger aquariums for water circulation and CO2 diffusion. I use a bit of polyfiber as a prefilter which gets rinsed out or replaced each week. This helps to ensure that the shrimplets in the tanks don't go for a trip through the waterpump and get trapped in the spraybar. I also gravel vac the open areas of these aquariums periodically.

So far it hasn't been a major issue in the Pico.

Back
Top Bottom