Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

unfiltered tank

This concept's been rattling around in my head--partially because of Lonewolfblue's comment about not trimming the entire tank because the plants are so much of the filter--and partially because my one filter was acting up and I almost left it to be an unfiltered tank (I did eventually figure out how to get the filter running again...).

But anyway, I'm interested in hearing folks' experiences with planted unfiltered tanks. What tanks do you have that are unfiltered and what makes them successful etc.?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

All of my tanks are "unfiltered". I've got a 10 gallon, 5.5 gallon, 2.5 gallon, and 0.5 gallon which are all heavily planted and all at least medium light if not high to very high light (light levels can be a bit hard to judge on these smaller tanks). All receive carbon from either CO2 injection or Flourish Excel dosing along with EI dosing.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
Joy, what do you do about gunk build up? I really appreciate being able to open the filter once a month (cannister)m and toss a lot of muck that didn't stay in my tank. I don't vaccum much tho..
Old 05-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I do have water pumps in the three larger aquariums for water circulation and CO2 diffusion. I use a bit of polyfiber as a prefilter which gets rinsed out or replaced each week. This helps to ensure that the shrimplets in the tanks don't go for a trip through the waterpump and get trapped in the spraybar. I also gravel vac the open areas of these aquariums periodically.

So far it hasn't been a major issue in the Pico.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com