Unknown Plant...Going Submersed?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
Be had these two plants for a little over a year now, and this next part needs a short story in order to make sense.

I went to the pet store and got an aquatic plant, I had no idea what it was. I took it home, got the little plastic thing off, and discovered that there were two plants! I put them in the tank, and took a picture:
View attachment 82346
And it grew and grew! And all the leaves went above the water. Still, it grew and grew and got taller and taller. I began to cut leaves that we're too tall. Those were the new growth. It kept growing:
View attachment 82349
I messed up the water, and I had to get a brand new filter for my tank, so the water and gravel got bad, and everything had to re-set. I replanted the plants by cutting the roots to 4" long, and some
Of the older leaves started melting, but they held together okay:
View attachment 82348
Recently, I started forcing the leaves to stay under the water, and the new growth started looking smaller! I am excited to think that its changing to submersed:
View attachment 82350
View attachment 82351

So, I wanted a second opinion. Can my plant really just now be changing to submersed even after all this time?

Notes:
The first word should say I've, not be (stupid darn autocorrect)
Somehow I lost the second pic, but I don't think it's too important anyway.

Please help me! Or not so much as help, but answer my question! ^^

I have a dwarf water lily. I'm told if I keep trimming the leaves before they reach the surface I can train the plant to be bushier and more compact. I only trim a couple leaves at a time.

Yours is a Sword ? They often grow very large. If it still wants to outgrow the tank, sell or give it away and get Crypts or something more compact.

I'm not sure what it is, I was told it was a melon sword, but it doesn't look like the online pictures to me. That's why I'm so confused —_—"" if the new leaves keep growing small, I might be able to keep it though ^^

But the main question is wether it can be turning submersed even after this long of a time after the way I treated it...? ^^

alia258 said:
But the main question is wether it can be turning submersed even after this long of a time after the way I treated it...? ^^

Your plant has been living in water this whole time right ? Never potted like a house plant ? Then it IS Submersed. :)

Emersed are not under water.

Trimming of the surface leaves may cause it to grow bushier and shorter, but some species will outgrow your tank and just need bigger tanks.

I have Mini Amazon Swords, my poor plants are in a 5g with gravel, very little plant food. Only 10w of light and very few ferts. BUT, I've had them growing in there continually for almost 3 years. These grow HUGE in good conditions.
I pull out the extra plants or trim off bad leaves.

It looks like melon sword. There are soo many different kind of swords and they can very dramatically. 2 of the same plant will look different in different tanks. Adding some sort of co2 will make a HUGE difference.

I don't add anything except root tabs really

Back
Top Bottom