update and cry for help on new planted tank.. HAPPY Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It turns out that Glass Cages is going to come through!!!!!!

It seems it wasn't the 20'' cube that worried them, but my asking for access holes for filter intakes and heater power cord.

I called them back after scoping out a GOOD FRIENDS set up where it seems plumping and cord simply slip over the euro brace (three inches around the top... They happilly agreed to build the cube and it should be here next week.

given that my original tank is leaking, next week sounds good.

czcz I think I will definately use your scaping idea!!! (even with four inches off the top, this is deep for me.. I'm only 5' tall.. short arms :")

besides I love your tanks!!

Cat please help me set this up :) I am already overwhelmed. Gonna run a cannister filter behind the fridge or on top of it.. since the tank is between a doorway and teh refrigerator. she isnt' kidding about tiny apartments.

I still have a 21 inch square stand... I still need acrylic .. can go up or down in height. anyone have any idea if anyone out there is making good cubes?

checked with tenecor but they want obscene prices for anything that is outside of their standard shapes, and cubes ain't one of them.

also could use height advice for a workable planted tank, keeping in mind that the depth of the tank is going to be also wider than standard and that I have access only from the front and the left side.

(I'm no aquascaper.)

How about an elaborate triangle layout on the back and rear right corner for stem plants? You could make a terrace to increase substrate depth back there if wanted, and will have easier access for trimming and can hide equipment. I have a 12" tall tank and have often wished for more height to allow stem plants to do their thing.

A height of 22" would be neat because you could have a 2" substrate depth in the front and left of the tank, and the water column would look like a perfect cube.

I've no suggestions for acrylic tank companies, but maybe contact sumphead or one of the acrylic tank DIYers and see what they can do for you.

czcz--NICE suggestion!!!! you could create a terrace of rocks and do beautiful things with java fern and maybe even riccia (if it was close enough to the light)! and i believe that sherry might just have a friend who has access to some slate...but even slate and rocks from the lfs could work...

are we all REALLY sure that the original height is unworkable? what was it? 24". stem plants WILL grow towards the light, and if you have injected co2, and are dosing ferts appropriately...you probably won't be able to grow glosso, but not all your plants have to be high light... as for pruning, you have long tweezers and long scissors. a lot of plants don't like to be moved around a lot anyway (think crypts)... i had tall tanks that were on stands, and i used a step stool, and just expected to get a little wet (which i did:)). afterall, i'm only 5'1" but my arms are at least 2' long and do reach to the very botton (below the substrate) from armpit to hand (as long as i'm standing on a step stool).

i know how much you want this tank, and i just want to make absolutely sure that a tall tank won't work...because i think it could...if you have the appropriate expectation in terms of maintenance and plant choice...

everyone, please remember that some of live in small cramped apartments, and like many of you, are perrenially broke...

before you discourage sherry from a good choice (space and financially speaking), consider again...and then if you think it absolutely can't happen, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom