Update on my algae(?) problem - still need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's my original post ----> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=50542

OK, here's what Ive done:

1) Stopped dosing nutrients

2) Barely feeding at all (maybe 2 pellets every other day)

3) 50% water change every 3 days (treated with stress-coat after)

4) Lights on about 8-10 hours a day

The water is still very cloudy. The water is sort of greenish, but I would really discribe it as a milky white haze. It only looks a little better after I do the water change. Here are my readings over the last few days, they were taken right before doing a water change:

Friday 4/29

pH - 7.6 (has never changed since I've owned my tank)
NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 5.0 ppm
PO4 - .5 ppm

Sunday 5/1

NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 5.0 ppm
PO4 - 1.0 ppm

Anyone got any ideas? Im so sick of nasty looking water And I think it's really hurting my plants by blocking out the amount of light they can get. It sure looks like the white cloudiness I've seen associated with an Ammonia problem, but as you can see, my levels are literally 0. My tank is starting to look like a sewer and my plants are looking pretty awful too. I could really use some help here guys, this is really starting to get me down :(

OK. now it the time to stop light for a few days (algae experts can help with this) and stop the pwc's, leave it about 2 weeks or until the NO3 gets to above 40 ppm.

1. The cloudiness is probably due to a bacterial bloom. That should clear up on its own. There is some anecdotals evidence that not doing so many pwc's helps. The bloom passes and you can get on with a regular routine. The theory is that fresh water allows the floating bacterial population to regenerate. There are new minerals from the pwc and the lower bacteria population mean that the bacteria population can grow again. Less bacteria = clear then it blooms and gets cloudy, then you cut the bacteria populastion and make conditions ideal for it to build up again. By stopping pwc's you break that cycle and let the bloom end of its own accord. In addition, I think that each time stuff is cleaned there is more surface area for bacteria to colonize.......... this sound like it needs to settle down.

2. The plants should have more stores than the algae to last without light. Once the floating algae is under control things should reach an equilibrium. ....Oh, and type of lighting do you use for your tank

All this previous advice still applies
Fishyfanatic: "The filter floss is supposed to be nasty. It does need to be changed, but I think it's about once a month or so, not weekly." ......
"Do not rinse the sponge in tap water. The chlorine kills all of the beneficial bacteria that colonizes in the sponge. Instead, swish it around in used tank water about once every two or three weeks. Do not rinse in tap."

SteveM
: "Between the massive water changes and thourough filter cleaning I'd guess you're going through a mini-cycle every time you do your cleaning."

I doubt that your tank is looking like a sewer, especially with your readings and pwc's. I think that when something isn't the way we want it we worry far too much. To be honest it sounds like teething problems in a new tank, or when new fish are added to an existing tank. These type of problems normally sort them selves out.

It is probably good to try and dort out one problem at a time otherwise you don't really know what worked when you solve the problem.

Stop using stress coat. Fish don't use aloe vera in the wild...why do they need it in captivity? Its just another money sink.

malkore said:
Fish don't use aloe vera in the wild...why do they need it in captivity?

I hear it does a great job relieving the pain of sunburn that can result from swimming too close to those bright plant lights :p

Back
Top Bottom