Update: scaping ideas? - This is it for now! Thanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

countryfan05

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is my 26 gallon, I want more plants but am not really good at landscaping, any suggestions to make it look better? Thanks.

Attachments

• t_img_0800_2_1_723_577.jpg
    t_img_0800_2_1_723_577.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 83
  • t_img_0799_1_1_520_142.jpg
    t_img_0799_1_1_520_142.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 97
I would start by tilting that nice piece of driftwood a little foward on the right side.. so it doesn't just cut off half of your tank. Then scape with the idea of creating a foreground and a background.... maybe a midground if you have room.

tall stems in back.. small plants way up high and some midground bushes.

fiddle with it like a painting until it starts to come to life for you .

How much light do you have? Could do some of the clover on the bottom up front as well. Amd stand the driftwood up a little more like in the previous post, or maybe lay it down more towards the center and aquascape around it, low plants up front and tall in the back, with parts of the driftwood visible. Or could do some ground cover in front of it so bigger plants don't block the driftwood from view.

Since the driftwood is screwed down, I would try rotating it a bit. Move it so that the tall portion is at the back corner and the short portion points more towards the middle front.

Definately some sort of foreground plant for a carpet would be nice. With your light you could try one of the Marsilea sp. (clover) or Dwarf Sag.

I like what you've done so far :) Also try putting some taller background plants behind the wood so it gives it a better sense of depth and serves to highlight the dark wood in front of a brighter green backdrop. Depth is the hardest part (at least for me) to achieve in a planted tank. You might also consider some moss for the wood. It always helps give a tank a more natural feel.

The open foreground could use some sort of shorter plants to fill it in. I like Purrbox's idea of Marsilea sp. but am not a big fan of Dwarf Sagittaria. Maybe some moss covered rocks?

Looks very nice so far.

I have very little aquascaping experience but I think what Purrbox said about rotating the wood is a good idea.

I also agree with the ground cover idea. I'm using dwarf hairgrass but I don't know if that would go well with your other plants.

Hope you don't mind me asking in your post but, could you tell me what that tallest plant in the your tank is? It grows from green to a white at the top. Anyone?

Thanks

current516 said:
Looks very nice so far.

I have very little aquascaping experience but I think what Purrbox said about rotating the wood is a good idea.

I also agree with the ground cover idea. I'm using dwarf hairgrass but I don't know if that would go well with your other plants.

Hope you don't mind me asking in your post but, could you tell me what that tallest plant in the your tank is? It grows from green to a white at the top. Anyone?

Thanks

The tall plant is Rotala indica

OK, time to squash/quash some rumors:

The tall (and absolutely beautiful) plant in your tank is actually a variant of Rotala rotundifolia. There is quite a bit of argument over what "true" Rotala indica looks like, but I can guarantee that just about anything you purchase as Rotala indica is actually a Rotala rotundifolia variant of some sort. True R. indica may look something like this:

Ammania_bonsai_251204_x558.jpg

And even the experts aren't sure on this one until they can see some more flowers. So, at this point, there is no such thing as true Rotala indica, regardless of what labels you may see at the LFS or what may be available for sale online. Just had to throw in the correction and I, in no way, wish to offend anyone. Beautiful plants in any case man :)

Wow... as always, that is one beautiful pic Travis. While I didn't particularly like the look of Ammania sp. bonsai at first, this pic definately makes me want to give it more time to fill in. BTW, what is that black and blue striped fish?

I forgot about Dwarf Hairgrass. Silly considering that I'm planning on replacing my Dwarf Sag with Eleocharis parvulus, one of the two varieties I've seen listed as Dwarf Hairgrass. Eleocharis acicularis is the other. According to Tropica the parvulus variety doesn't get as tall and is more low light tolerant.

Thanks, I got the name from the LFS!!! :) No offense taken, I know almost nothing about plants except what I am told.

I don't want this thread to wander off-topic so I would suggest you post that question as a separate thread Purrbox. I can split your question off of this thread but I suck at that so, please help me out here :p

And no problems at all countryfan. Most people at your LFS will try to tell you what they think is correct, but don't really have the knowledge to know what they're talking about. I, on the other hand, am absolutely positive when I don't know what the heck I'm talking about :p

No problem Travis. I've started a new thread in the General Discussion area. Anyone else who's curious about the fish as well should head over to this thread to find out the answer.

Since you have light substrate, have you thought about or tried a black background? Might bring the fish and plants out more. Just another idea.

I have a blue background that is black on the other side, I could switch it.

I tried adding a few plants but it still looks off. I think I am expecting too much. I saw a tank at my LFS and it was square and heavily planted like a jungle.

I didn't move the wood b/c I am nervous to hurt fish and bring up a bunch of debris but do you guys think I should put the driftwood in the corner (right) witht he tall piece in the back. From that angle it looks a bit like a skull. And maybe bring an amazon sword to the front. Or should I but the wood in the middle toss the rock and plant around it?

I am REALLY bad and landscaping so I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• img_0802_1_1_1_203.jpg
    img_0802_1_1_1_203.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 20
I think you're making progress. I really like what's starting to happen on the right side of the tank. The hairgrass in front of the driftwood really helps to give some depth to the tank. The left side of the tank feels a bit ecclectic to me. Something that might help is to group the plants that are the same together instead of having them in three separate clumps. I think with a few more tweaks and some time for the plants to grow in, and yell have a very nice tank on your hands.

Back
Top Bottom