upgrading light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just set up my 36 gallon tank. I plan on having lots of plants, dosing ferts, and doing Co2. So my question is, what would be the best way to upgrade my lighting? The light it came with is just a single aqueon 17 watt T8 bulb -.- so what should I do? For my last tank I just bought a whole new hood. But if there's a different way of doing this I'd like to know.

Just to add in there, I'm looking to have not super high light but a little more than moderate. And I need to buy whatever it is that I need tomorrow for sure so a speedy response would be great lol..

http://www.fishneedit.com/

I have been doing a lot of looking for fixtures and someone gave me this site. This place has affordable T5 - HO fixtures AND it comes with bulbs. A lot of fixtures I priced do not come with bulbs so this is a plus. I still havnt decided what to buy but I think the T5 is the way to go as far as affordability.

ashleynicole said:
http://www.fishneedit.com/

I have been doing a lot of looking for fixtures and someone gave me this site. This place has affordable T5 - HO fixtures AND it comes with bulbs. A lot of fixtures I priced do not come with bulbs so this is a plus. I still havnt decided what to buy but I think the T5 is the way to go as far as affordability.

Thanks ill look into that

Peyton said:
How long is your 36g tank?

It's 30 inches. I really need to get it as soon as I can cuz I kinda sorta maybe might have already put some plants in there... Lol

Ok I'm sorry lol I'm a noob with lighting. Please bare with me.. so.. T5 bulbs can't just go in the hood that comes with a tank? Lol

You can't simply replace your t8 bulb with a t5. For one a t5 won't fit into the t8 endcaps and the ballast for the t8 probably won't power the t5 properly.

jetajockey said:
How tall is the tank? a 2 bulb t5no should be plenty to get you going, I wouldn't bother with the colormax unless you happen to like that color, otherwise just go with 6700k-10000ks.

That's all they've got at the pet stores. I have the exact same fixture on my bigger tank but they're each 28 watts. Is that considered moderate lighting?

The tank is 20 inches high but I have about 3 inches of sand too. And since this is a t5 fixture, can't I take the colormax out and put in another regular t5 bulb?

That's all they've got at the pet stores. I have the exact same fixture on my bigger tank but they're each 28 watts. Is that considered moderate lighting?

The tank is 20 inches high but I have about 3 inches of sand too. And since this is a t5 fixture, can't I take the colormax out and put in another regular t5 bulb?

The 24" t5 HO lights are around 24watts each, the NO bulbs are 14 watts. You could replace the colormax if you wanted, you may like it the way it is though. Or you may be able to find a fixture that has the bulb combination you want already, so you don't have to buy an extra bulb.

These charts give a basic guideline to go by, the t5NO should put you in the low to medium range based on the information you gave plus guessing on how efficient the potential fixture is. It'd be enough to grow most plants and likely not have to dabble in pressurized co2 or a constant fert dosing routine. Stepping up a 2 bulb t5ho fixture would most likely put you in that range though.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

I already do co2 and ferts, I'm no stranger to that. And I already bought said fixture. Like I said I have the exact same fixture on my 55 except they are both 28 watts. (its like 48 inches or something)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120612_184419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120612_184419.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 45
Well good, you could just stick it on there and see how you like it. I wouldn't upgrade to t5ho unless you plan on pressurized co2, or if you get a fixture with individual on/off switches so that you can adjust the light level easily.

I *heard* colormax doesn't do anything special for plants and is designed for aesthetics, but I don't know for sure. I'd dig a little deeper on that, and if it's the case, I'd definitely replace it with a full spectrum bulb, probably a 10000k if you are like the crisp white look.

Basically it boils down to this: what bulb do I replace the colormax with to definitely put me in the higher moderate lighting range. I'm sorry I don't really understand that chart lol. I'm 17 its like school and this is summer hahaha.

Going with a full spectrum 6700k-10000k bulb is going to net about the same PAR no matter which you choose. Your choice between the two should be based mostly on which one you like the best, visually. Assuming the colormax doesn't do a whole lot for plants, it should be replaced anyway if maximum light intensity is the goal. Like I said though I don't know a lot about the colormax bulbs in particular to say either way.

The only way to upgrade past that is to step up to a higher output fixture (i.e. T5ho and/or a higher end individually reflected fixture)

Try aquaticlife.com great lights. A little bit more on the high end but let me tell you it's worth every penny for me

Back
Top Bottom