Upgrading my tank wooohoooo!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

11bkd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks,

I finally got my wish :) I brought home my Fluval 90 litre tank today, officially the largest tank my floors can safely take! So apart from dancing like a wee kid I'm trying to figure out a) what all I have and b) what all I can do with it.

I'm moving my community tank contents over to this new one which means I'll have

4 zebra danios
3 gold mountain minnows
2 cory cats
4 red cherry shrimp

Anubias, java fern, banana plant, marimo moss ball, Audry 3 (turned up randomly and COULD be anubias but we don't know for sure yet) and whats left of my cardinalis after the shrimp ate the whole effing thing!

I will be increasing numbers of each kind of fish and I'd like suggestions of what else would suit our new accommodation if you fancy chipping in your ideas.

I've got my eye on Tetraplant complete substrate and some fine gravel / course sand at my lfs. Is this a wise choice? Is there anything that is good to know about using it?

The lighting fixture in the tank is a Fluval Glo that currently has Aqua Glo 15w T8 and Sun Glo 15w T8 in it. What would the output be for any plants? I would love to expand my selection of plants and make this a fairly heavily planted tank but I have had limited experience although I've had a good outcome so far :) I have researched this so much in the past few days and found the advice to be really conflicting so I trust your judgement more!

Any advice gratefully received and now I'm off to do the snoopy dance in excitement!!!! I have a new tank!!!!! Yipppeeeeeee!

Hi, haha, great to here you upgraded. I've upgraded my FW about 3-4 times now, with no mini cycles. This is how I did it.

1. Drain the water into a separate tub you can hang your filter on.
2. If you don't run the filter on the bin, then take the media out an place in a zip lock bag full of tank water,
3. Remove all decorations going to your new tank.
4. Try to catch all the fish you can with a net now.
Transfer the fish to the tub.
6. Set up your new tank with clean decholiated water.
7. Do not put any decorations in until the water is safe for fish, they have needed BB on them
8. Add fish after you hook up all equipment

That's a good choice of substrate. There's also play sand if you want to use it. It's only 3.50 for 50 pounds an is aquarium safe

For stocking I would look at neon tetras and a dwarf groumai

Nice! grats on the upgrade! I would like to add though, if the floor can only support the weight of a 25 gallon tank then there is a serious problem because that's just a little more weight than the average adult male.

I'm assuming those lights are t5 normal output correct? If so that will probably put you at a medium light level.

As for the transfer procedure, it is a good plan although I would suggest that you acclimate your fish the same way you would if you had just bought them. It is likely that the pH will be different in the new tank.

I've never heard anything about that substrate so I can't really comment.

Lol, ,yes the problems with an old house built in a swamp. When you include the weight of everything else using the structural support we are limited to what more constant weight we can add. We need to be over cautious or we may get a new 'feature' in the livingroom!

What does T5 output mean? Is there anywhere you can point me to for the info? It says T8on the bulb but I've learned that nothing is simple when it has the word aquarium in it :) Medium light should be good for the size of tank and the range of plants available locally. I'm borrowing my lfs' big book of plants and they're ordering in what I want :brows: I may need a responsible adult to hold onto my credit cards! I'll have lots more questions soon :)

There are a few different types of T5 bulbs which are currently the best fluorescent bulbs on the market. There's t5 normal output which is the standard. t5 high efficiency which has lower power consumption, and t5 high output which has the highest output

with 2 t8s it might put you at medium lighting. What are the dimensions on your tank?

it's a Fluval 90 Litre, 60x35x45 cm so it's quite tall. I've had good results with my 45 litre with this bulb.WP_002684.jpg

so I think anything will be better!

I've also read that I don't have a big enough tank to need a CO2 set up but I've also read my plants wont thrive without. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, X

it's a Fluval 90 Litre, 60x35x45 cm so it's quite tall. I've had good results with my 45 litre with this bulb.View attachment 191332

so I think anything will be better!

I've also read that I don't have a big enough tank to need a CO2 set up but I've also read my plants wont thrive without. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, X

I don't have co2 for either my 55g or my 10g tank. Rivercats also went quite a while without pressurized co2. Instead I use excel or a metricide 14 day solution for a glut addition which plants can use in place of co2.

It's not as good as pressurized co2 but it still works very well.

Back
Top Bottom