Using a syphon in planted tanks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quake2player

Aquarium Advice Activist
As I'm doing more and more reading being a newb w/planted tanks... I'm not too clear on whether or not it's "as necessary" to syphon the gravel during routine maintenance with a planted tank because.... tell me if my logic is right:

1. Plants benefit from fish waste. Thus, it's unnecessary to do any gravel vacuuming in a planted tank.
2. Gravel vacuuming will disturb the roots, thus do not vacuum near plants .

I see the pictures of lushly planted tanks and I can't imagine how the gravel is vacuumed, if it even is. For my purposes, I just got a couple of crypts, an Amazon sword, couple of vals in my 29 gallon. I'd assume I would vacuum "around" my plants where my fake plants are, but I don't want to if I should just leave it alone and let the fish waste stay and do my partial water changes and clean/change the filters on my Emperor w/bio-wheel during routine maintenance. What do you plant-pros do?

I may eventually add an Eheim to upkeep the water quality... but that's a topic for another forum :D :D

You don't really deep vac the gravel...rather you just go over the surface, to pick up the dead leaves and excess fish waste/food.

Back
Top Bottom