Using privacy window film on back of tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tamra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm new here, hoping for some advice since I can't seem to make up my mind...

I am planning on revamping (New stand/hood, lights etc) a 50 gallon wood decorated/planted aquarium in a few weeks, so I need to figure this out asap since I will just be taking my assorted fish out of the tank for a few hours and will be limited in time to do things. One thing that really bugs me is seeing numerous water marks on the outside esp back of the glass left by a constantly splashing blue gourami, and I am hoping to find a permanent solution since my new stand will limit my ability to clean it often.

I was wondering if anyone has used privacy window film like this to prevent watermarks and hide the wires/pipes etc?? I thought opaque might look nice.
This stuff- Light Effects 24 in. x 36 in. Textured Window Film-02-3201 at The Home Depot

However I also noticed a lot of people saying a black background will make the fish and plants pop.- Gila 3 ft. x 6.5 ft. Black Privacy Window Film-PB78 at The Home Depot

I have also heard hunter green looks nice... :facepalm: but window film doesn't come in that color lol.

So:
a)opaque film? (Can put lights behind it to make it sparkle)
b)black film?
c)something else?

I was thinking of painting the stand backing with silver spray paint to reflect light back into the tank and then putting opaque window film on the tank but am worried that might not work or might look tacky..? Any advice is appreciated!

You certainly can use any type of window film on the back. I personally use etched window film(you can find pictures in my 12 gallon thread) but I have used black out window film as well. Both look really nice. The black really helps equipment blend in if you have black heaters or filter pipes, etc. The etched one makes colors pop as well, because it reflects some nice light back in to the tank off the back glass, and everything really stands out. Black to me makes everything a little muted.

I've seen a lot of people use different colored lights behind the etched film to simulate a sunrise/sunset effect.

Just make sure you clean the glass really well. Use a flat razor blade to remove any water spots, and remove all dust particles before application or you'll have some unsightly bubbles.

I just did this. I used the frosted film. I don't have a pic with the leds, but I have it set up such that I can use suction cups to put a colored LED bar on the back of the glass (below the substrate) pointing at the wall. It creates a really diffuse glow and looks amazing. I'll try to get a pic tonight. In the meantime, here are tank pics. I included one of the wall so you can see the color difference. The wall is yellow, but the frosting really helps make it more white.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I thought long and hard about using black. I still think it would look great. But I wanted to try this first - the pro aquascapes that I've seen usually have something other than black. And the LEDs really do look awesome! :D

Thank you Bill, esp good tips on cleaning the glass, does the film keep water from running down between it and the glass too? Your 12 gal looks really nice!!

And Pank, I really appreciate the photos, it looks really nice, and you are right much brighter than black, with the option of the LED's!!

Good tips, thank you! :dance:

And Pank, I really appreciate the photos, it looks really nice, and you are right much brighter than black, with the option of the LED's!!

Good tips, thank you! :dance:

I forgot to take pics last night, but here are some for today. The first is the LED bar - just one of those cheap submersible ones from ebay. You could probably get them a lot cheaper if they weren't designed for aquariums; that's just what I had on hand.

The bar is attached to the back of the tank with suction cups. It's just barely above the rim on the glass. I have it turned to face the wall so the light is reflected and less intense. The pictures really don't do it justice - there's a very pretty diffuse glow all over. I can't wait to try it out with different colors and positions.

If you decide to do it, I'm happy to give you some install tips, especially if you plan to do it by yourself. :)

Edit: As for the water running down between the film and the glass - not possible if it's applied correctly. It's basically like one of those protective anti-scratch things for your smartphone.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 313
  • blue1.jpg
    blue1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 452
Woo-hoo no more watermarks... it's a dwarf gourami thats the main cause of mine, likes to splash after I clean the glass!

Pank I would appreciate some advise, as problems arise it would be great to talk to someone who's done it...

Here's a question- If your stand had a back wall (plywood or pine) 4-5" behind the glass what color would you paint it? I was thinking silver to reflect the light back in thru the film but a friend said he thought black so it didn't reflect, esp with LED's. What do you think? Open question to everyone!

I'm just not big on black. I had it in my smaller tank and I wanted to like it ... but it just seemed fake to me. I think it's also because it's all one, flat color ... all the time. I've noticed that with the film, it doesn't look flat.

I think with a wall behind the tank you run the risk of reflection either way. I'd guess that it probably would have more to do with the kind of paint rather than the color.

As for applying the film, I think I'm going to actually write up a tutorial. I have extra so I can just put it on my QT and take lots of pics. I think it's different from the hundreds of tutorials you'll find for applying it to windows because with aquariums, you have very specific difficulties. And some of the difficulties everyone else has don't apply here. So anyway, I'll try to do it tomorrow. If not, I'll do it next week. Yay mini-vaca! :)

I just did this. I used the frosted film. I don't have a pic with the leds, but I have it set up such that I can use suction cups to put a colored LED bar on the back of the glass (below the substrate) pointing at the wall. It creates a really diffuse glow and looks amazing. I'll try to get a pic tonight. In the meantime, here are tank pics. I included one of the wall so you can see the color difference. The wall is yellow, but the frosting really helps make it more white.

I thought long and hard about using black. I still think it would look great. But I wanted to try this first - the pro aquascapes that I've seen usually have something other than black. And the LEDs really do look awesome! :D

Cheaper alternative "idk how much that bar cost" but ikea has a led strip that had a dial and you can change the colors with

I was thinking of applying the opaque film and also painting the back wall because the knotholes in the pine might show thru the film or maybe not? I'm guessing if you painted the wall blue then the film would appear blue? All of the time vs having a multi colored LED.

They LED's at Ikea are pretty cheap, 7 color one for $30 or $40.

Back
Top Bottom