using seachem excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have been looking into flourish excel and i have a few question can u use it while doing diy co2????? in my case i have a 3l bottle of diy co2 and a diy bubble counter and its giving me good results but i want to know if by using excel i will get better results, also if i use the diy co2 and excel together i will get even better results

Excel and co2 are complementary, especially if you are not using pressurized co2. At the very least it will still act as an algaecide.
I dose it occasionally in my high tech tanks to head off some types of algae.

Excel and co2 are complementary, especially if you are not using pressurized co2. At the very least it will still act as an algaecide.
I dose it occasionally in my high tech tanks to head off some types of algae.

cool so if i understand correctly it wont hurt/harm to use both but it will help then???

Yes you can use Co2 and excel/glutaraldehyde in conjunction. I believe it even specifically mentions that on the seachem site.

i did read it but it got me confused, i added the post right after reading it a few times

abrahamavelar said:
cool so if i understand correctly it wont hurt/harm to use both but it will help then???

It wont hurt anymore than excel already could (vals and such). And it certainly could help.

Welcome to the big excel debate. Some people insist it outright kills them, others think they can be acclimated. It's a passionate debate on either side.

ohhh ok also do you have to dose daily or every other day or twice a week ive read multiple ways of using it, also it will be used in a 75 gal

My vals have taken off since usin Excel it never even hurt them so I dont beleive it hurts vals at all!! Anachris it completely wiped it out tho

Excel has a higher glutylaldehyde content. I think mericide has he highest percent on the fish market.

Taken from the seachem page on excel..

The use of either CO2 injection or Flourish Excel™ does not necessarily negate the use of the other. Because the processes of producing photosynthetic intermediates and building onto them occur simultaneously, one can derive a substantial benefit with the use of Flourish Excel™ either alone or in conjunction with CO2 .

I started dosing daily about 2 week ago, to combat the narly black bearded algae I was getting in my 55 gallon tank. If algae is a potential problem then flourish is a great weapon. I don't know about the vals though.

Back
Top Bottom