Using Seachem Plant Pack for Low Tech Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Envee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got some new plants. An amazon sword (echinodorus amazonicus) and a few small telanthera cardinalis. We don't have anything special for the plants right now, so I just ordered a seachem plant pack to try. It comes with the seachum flourish, flourish exel, and flourish iron. I really want the plants to do well, but I am concerned about the fish. I know there is a risk of overdosing the tank. My question is whether or not anyone has experience using these products, and if it's safe to use all three at once. Should I alternate days, or use lower doses? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks fellow fish keepers!

All those products are safe for fish, I use all if then myself.. Dose according to the directions on the bottle, with excel start at half dose and work up to full dose, forget the directions for after wc.. Do not dose within 12 hrs of using prime..also consider root tabs for the sword, they'll thank you with great growth and color.. What do you have for a light?

I actually just got a new bulb to try out as well. It's an 18 inch 15 watt T8 Flora Sun. It's 5000K, which I read was good for plants. I tried reading about all the different types of lighting, but the article I read was so in depth, I just ened up slightly confused. I like to read as many reviews as I can before I buy stuff and this bulb got very good reviews. I am always open to more suggestions though, especially since we plan to get a new larger tank soon, and we are buying it piece by piece rather than buying a kit like we did with our first tank.

Oh, and I forgot to ask...The iron says to use only if your plants need more iron than what the flourish would provide. I know the iron is supposed to be good for helping red plants get a nice red color, but how do I find out if I really need the extra iron? Or do you know if my plants would? Do you have any plants to recommend that would grow well with what I'm using?

Just got some new plants. An amazon sword (echinodorus amazonicus) and a few small telanthera cardinalis. We don't have anything special for the plants right now, so I just ordered a seachem plant pack to try. It comes with the seachum flourish, flourish exel, and flourish iron. I really want the plants to do well, but I am concerned about the fish. I know there is a risk of overdosing the tank. My question is whether or not anyone has experience using these products, and if it's safe to use all three at once. Should I alternate days, or use lower doses? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks fellow fish keepers!

You will still need root tabs for the Sword. They only need to be replaced every 3 or 4 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would I use those both together then, for good balance?

API Leaf Zone is basically iron and potassium. If you have the complete Seachem fert package there is no need to buy API Leaf Zone as you already have everything in the package you need for both micro and macro nutrients. All plants use some iron but unless you have a lot of non-green plants you don't need to use very much of it. Just so you know nitrates, potassium, and phosphates are your macro nutrients. Also be sure to test your aquarium water for nitrates and preferably phosphates as well so you know if you are dosing enough or too much. Nitrates should be 10-20ppm and phosphates 1-3ppm in planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom