Using "Thorvin" (Organic Seaweed Extract Potash) in Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, in the unlikely event anyone has heard of or used Thorvin, please let me know your insight and on and dosing recommendations for it.

For everyone else, based on the nutrient profile and composition of the Thorvin product I received a sample of, does this seem safe, since basically it's a highly potent form of potash, from seaweed extract, which many freshwater fertilizer products have?

Evidently this product does wonders in small amounts for small home gardens to large-scale agricultural plots. While it is all-natural, there isn't any documented info on using it in a totally aqueous solution with existing livestock (fish), I even contacted the company directly. They were very kind, but only had data on farms, hydroponics, etc.

Let me know your thoughts on dosing per 10g, and it's likely safety in use among freshwater community livestock.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 38
This is a product which I have not personally seen in aquariums.

https://www.westernpotash.com/about-potash/what-is-potash

I read a little of this, and it seems if there is salt a continued use could cause build up This lists some other minerals too like copper which is bad for inverts (also build up is possible which is true with any added ferts in an aquarium).

This is a product which I have not personally seen in aquariums.

https://www.westernpotash.com/about-potash/what-is-potash

I read a little of this, and it seems if there is salt a continued use could cause build up This lists some other minerals too like copper which is bad for inverts (also build up is possible which is true with any added ferts in an aquarium).

These are great insights, I'll check for a chemical assay from the manufacturer. For now, I'm adding in EOD trace amounts (basically a crumb or two), and observing the behaviour and health of my livestock (guppies and endless) on my desk aquarium since I spend ~50 hours a week working there.

The good news is, there are no inverts, aside from the occasional hitchhiking snail on some guppy grass, in that aquarium.

I'm most concerned about aggregate salt compounding levels, and copper over time. If the manf can confirm their seaweed extract has little/no of either of those minerals/elements, we should be smooth sailing!

I'll keep everyone updated, because this product seems highly effective on large crops and plant life, and since it's water soluble, it might be the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom