Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

uv light hurt bamboo shrimp food?

I just put two bamboo shrimp in my 55g, i am wondering if they eat the algae and micro organisms my uv light is destroying. Am i killing and removing the shrimps food source? Ive herd they also brush off plants and rocks of food too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120321_230622.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	84014

Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would assume that the UV filter is killing the shrimps food but I can't tell you for certain.

They can dig at ornaments and rocks to get food, but generally that means that they aren't getting enough from the water. Not something they should be doing.

You could try to target feed them crushed flake food or I think they might have specific shrimp food, not sure. You would have to mix it with some tank water and shoot it into their fans while they're filter feeding.

I would double check on the type of shrimp too. The one in the picture looks like a Viper shrimp, I don't think there is much difference between them besides size though.

Bamboo Shrimp
Freshwater Invertebrates for Aquariums: Singapore Flower Shrimp

Viper Shrimp
Tropical Inverts for Freshwater Aquariums: Viper Shrimp
65 gallon freshwater | 14 neon tetras | 6 emerald cories | 2 zebra nerites | 5 guppies | 2 dwarf gouramis | 1 bulldog pleco | 1 golden apple | 1 bamboo shrimp | water wisteria | java fern | anubias nana | java moss
Iodizedfate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bamboo, bamboo shrimp, food, hurt, light, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com