UV Sterilizer In Planted Tank Ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsweers89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well the title says it all. I have heard some say it is bad beacuse it kills off the good bateria/ferts that you use for the plant and some say its ok. So whats your input here?

I have a deal that i can get this 40w STERILIZER: 40 Watt Gamma UV Sterilizer by Current USA* - AquaCave for $60 so i am just making sure its ok before i buy. I have heard great things about UV sterilizers and at this price i figured why not. Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

There is speculation that a UV sterilizer will oxidize trace elements, and thus inhibit plant growth. Most people that use them on a planted tank though report no ill effects or noted trace deficiency in their plants. I say if you want to add one, add it. If it really concerns you you can just set it up on a timer, or turn it off for 24 hours after you dose ferts to be safe. But probably, it won't make much difference either way as far as plant growth. It can help to control some algae and increase your water clarity... if you get it, let us know if you see any difference in plant performance over the coming months.

I use one and it runs only when my lights are on. Works like a champ, plants try to grow out the top of the tank. UV = Love. Also I dose ferts every day and never alter the uv cycle. NPK one day and Micro the next.

Back
Top Bottom