UV Sterilizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buffalo Bill

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 55 gal tank with a coralife light setup 260w. Now that my plants are in BAD shape (due to no nutrients ect. ect. ect.) I'm going to get on board and try to do this again (correctly). I currently have eco complete substrate on order and I'm thinking of putting in the tank slowly over a couple of months while slowly removing the existing bed.
As a silent reader I havent found any threads on UV sterilizer's in planted tanks and I was curious what the verdict was? I'm a little scared of dosing fert. and getting cloudy water.

in the planted tank, the UV sterilizer does the same things it always does: kills certain bacteria, parasites, and some algae spores.

Realistically you probably only need to run the UV 12 hours a day to reap the benefits.

A few people have claimed the UV causes oxidization of some trace elements, but no one has scientifically proven it, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Hmmm.....
I use A UV sterilizer in my 90 galleon, and it removes all trace of iron in the tank!. I dont know what the reasons behind this are, but I swapped from liquid to slow release ferts and I have had great results and have never "daily dosed" again.

My experience with U/V is that is has no effect on ferts. Perhaps the wattage of the unit matters. I use a 13watt "twist" and run it 23hrs a day.
I used to be very concerned over this, but as of yet to be honest I can not say the UV helps or hurts in any way.

Husmut,

I chelated iron already falls out of the water rapidly...and I could see a UV unit causing it even faster. Its good you found a viable alternative.

Back
Top Bottom