Val? Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anybody help me id this plant?

img_795149_0_ddd8477e5e31128b39ccc10312a58da4.jpg

img_795149_1_6048681dbd8bf50a91e9a3b837daad50.jpg

img_795149_2_146e2c6ebdbafdddb2b07ef63f72b735.jpg

Not a crypt (crypts fon't put out 3-4 foot long leaves in a matter of days). Probably Jungle val.
aka: Vallisneria americana (gigantea)

All of the pics of jungle val I've seen, the edges of the leaves are smooth, as where these have a ripple in them. I've never had jungle val, so I guess this is more of a question than a statement.

It is definitely not jungle val, or any kind of val for that matter. Where does it say it grew several feet in a few days? It has wavy edges, which vals don't, ithas a prominent vein up the middle which vals don't. If you look at the roots, you will see that there are rhizomes, which vals also don't have. It is a crypt.

I think BillD may be correct, those do look like crypt roots and runners to me as well. Not sure which type though.

it looks exactly like crypt. retrospiralis. and it IS a fast grower. those are crypt roots, not val runners.

Not a jungle val, those roots don't look like any val I have ever seen. I am also voting Crypt.

squawkbert said:
Not a crypt (crypts fon't put out 3-4 foot long leaves in a matter of days). Probably Jungle val.
aka: Vallisneria americana (gigantea)

I have a Wendtii that grew the height of my 55 gallon tank in a few days, and its classified as a foreground plant.

The images of Crypt. Retrospiralis I have found show it growing immersed. This plant would not support its own weight.

The growth you see is about 6 months worth. I took it out of my 29 because of shading issues. Since the 55 is the same height, I really don't know what to do with it. I just wanted to identify it before I tried to pawn it off. I may keep one of the babies for now but I think I will offer it on the barter forum.

Can I provide different images to help identify it? Anything specific? Does crypt. retrospiralis grow different when submersed vs. immersed? If not, the I'm not sure that is what this is.

SparKy697 said:
The images of Crypt. Retrospiralis I have found show it growing immersed. This plant would not support its own weight.

The growth you see is about 6 months worth. I took it out of my 29 because of shading issues. Since the 55 is the same height, I really don't know what to do with it. I just wanted to identify it before I tried to pawn it off. I may keep one of the babies for now but I think I will offer it on the barter forum.

Can I provide different images to help identify it? Anything specific? Does crypt. retrospiralis grow different when submersed vs. immersed? If not, the I'm not sure that is what this is.

Sorry, I was wrong. Now that I look again, there are pretty prominent center veins, and more "wave" than w/ my vals. Also - 6m Crypt growth equals about 6 weeks of val growth... Also - the runners looked too long to be crypt (but I have a wendtii, new plants pop up right near "mom" while I have vals pop up clear across the tank).

Back
Top Bottom