Valissneria and Flourish Excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read that they are sensitive and tend to melt when you use excel. I would really like some jungle val but i dose excel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I went through the same thing today. My LFS wasn't familiar with Flourish Execel melting Vals. They called their supplier directly and were given this answer:

Excessive amounts of flourish excel can cause Vals to melt away, but you are able to use regular flourish without having to worry about melting your Vals.

Nothing happens, I have vals and dose excel daily and haven't had any problems.

Oscarr19 said:
Huh well i'm getting mixed thoughts now :lol:

The problem is some people dose the double or triple the recommended dosage. I only add .5 ml to the recommended dose.

No i just do recommended dosage anyway. I'll see what i'll do. Thanks guys :D

I heard that the big initial dose can melt plants that are sensitive to it too... was wondering if that was true since the initial dose is still the recommended dose, it's just huge

jeffp said:
I heard that the big initial dose can melt plants that are sensitive to it too... was wondering if that was true since the initial dose is still the recommended dose, it's just huge

I never did the intial dose, i just dose 1 ml per 10 gallons.

it melted mine. supposed to melt anacharis, too. but i was dosing right where the plants were. i bought more vals and anacharis and I cut back to 1/2 dose and make sure to dose the Excel on the other side of the tank. they seem ok so far.

Constant doses of excel should be ok because the vals will acclimate to it. From what I've seen, most meltoffs are caused when someone suddenly starts dosing excel, or treats double/triple dose to treat algae.

Decided to leave the tank as is. Kinda busy with school now and i'm saving up for a SW tank.

Back
Top Bottom