Vermiculite as a substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mactonex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a planted community tank. I have a Rena Aqualife 200 tank (100w x 40d x 60h), Rena Filstar XP 2 filter, Rena Smartheater 200 and two Arcadia Eco Aqua LED lights which are T8 25W equivalent (each). I also have a 25Kg bag of 2-3mm gravel.

I have been reading up on substrates. I intend to plant quite heavily in the long run and realise I will probably have to increase the lights and get into plant food and Co2 but what I have should do for now and I will plant what the lights can sustain.

I have read conflicting opinions on vermiculite as a substrate under gravel. I would welcome opinions and experiences as I am attracted by the fact that it is substantially cheaper than any other substrate I have looked at.

Thanks,

Tony

I'll be interested to hear what people say about this :) ive never heard of people using vermiculite in tanks. I used to use it all the time in the garden centre I used to work in, but I thought it floated? How do you get it to sink? Or is that why you put it under gravel?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never tried it, but since vermiculite is inert porous material, what does its use gain you? In the gardening world, it is used to hold water. In an aquarium, it would have no more value than just using regular aquarium gravel. And as stated you have to deal with the issue of it constantly floating when disturbed.

I've read a few posts around the web of people using it either on its own under gravel or as a component of a soil based or 'dirted' tank. You can get it to waterlog and sink, but might be best to do it in a bucket as there are always a few bits that refuse to waterlog, probably easier to skim them out of a bucket than a tank.

I've just read Diana Walstad's book, 'ECOLOGY of the PLANTED AQUARIUM - A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist' a very interesting read so I think I'm going to give a dirted tank a go.

In an aquarium, it would have no more value than just using regular aquarium gravel.

Vermiculite has a high cation exchange capacity which facilitates the uptake of nutrients in plants, one of the reasons it's used in potting mixes. That and, as you say, it's capacity to hold large amounts of water.

Back
Top Bottom