Very important question about co2 after lights go off. Please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Maybe a dumb question but please read all and advise. The other day I have a thought in mind after I was reading about detritus worms that they stick to glass when lights goes off because they look for oxygen that's why when we turn on lights we see them on glass.

I am thinking if these worms feel less oxygen then how about shrimps I have in tank? They don't feel lack of oxygen? Is it good for there health?

I have a hang on back filter which creates water agitation and hence oxygen production but is it enough? At night when lights are off plants emit co2 so wouldn't be too much co2 in water?

I was advised here to put a air stone at night to have tank nicely oxygenated but at another planted foeum someone after seeing my water agitation video said that hang on back filters produce so much oxygen and even drive co2 out and that's why planted tanks don't mainly use hob filters and said that my hob filter is enough and adequate for my water surface movement.

My water agitation :

https://youtu.be/hNuzCCmjbC4

Please suggest me what shall I do? I have like 25 shrimps and I will be getting 20+ more soon. Don't want them to gasp for oxygen at night when lights are off.

Thanks.

I think that is plenty of agitation. I also think it depends on co2 concentration

I think that is plenty of agitation. I also think it depends on co2 concentration
During day I dose Seachem excel. And lights stay on for 10+ hours but at night hence plants produce co2 so that made me concerned.

I would guess the worms are out simply because it is dark. Not implying they have eyes but perhaps they are sensitive to light.
Keep in mind that the plants are producing quite a bit of oxygen during the day.

I would guess the worms are out simply because it is dark. Not implying they have eyes but perhaps they are sensitive to light.
Keep in mind that the plants are producing quite a bit of oxygen during the day.
Thanks but I am not sure if my surface agitation is enough to hold say like 50 adult shrimps at night. What you think?

Excell expires within 24 hours which is why it should be used daily.It is NOT co2 but a carbon source .
I would not worry about it at all even if you overdose the excel. I use to use glut at 2x the recommend dose which is 4 time the dose of excel with out issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom